• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Recommendation to enlarge cultural improvement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 933Mhz
lets recommend

*1 movie
*1 book
*1 web site

under this thread friends so it would be a good source for our spare times.

Reaction score
Great idea, I've had a thought -

Film - The Machinist, psychological thriller in which Reznik (Christian Bale) tries to work out the mysteries of strange post-it notes and his growing insomnia.
Book - A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess, just re-reading it now.
Website - http://www.postsecret.blogspot.com/ Anonymous postcards telling secrets of all sorts :?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Film- The Consequences of Love- an italian film with one of the best soundtracks ive ever heard. Its made with such subtlety and grace, its almost perfect. Its also a bit sad, but well worth a look.
Book- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. About an african tribal member who struggles to cope with africa's transfer to british colonialism. Also rather sad.
Website- ScreenVader- the best flash site ive seen. 3d!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Film: Shawshank redemption, great story about the failure of the justice system and the society inside a jail.

Book: Fahrenheit 451. A great story that takes place in the future where books are banned, and the fire department, is not responsible for put out fires, but setting books on fire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Movie:
Chocolate, filmed in France. Outsiders being shunned for being different.

Chocolat...no 'e' :p Great movie and great suggestion. I haven't seen that movie in a while...I must re-watch it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Chocolat...no 'e' :p Great movie and great suggestion. I haven't seen that movie in a while...I must re-watch it.

I have the sound track of the movie in my car, and it is one of the most eclectic combination of music, in my opinion.

Note: Correction made on Chocolat (I knew it, but I missed it, thanks)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I have the sound track of the movie in my car, and it is one of the most eclectic combination of music, in my opinion.

Note: Correction made on Chocolat (I knew it, but I missed it, thanks)

Yeah...I am absolutely going to go rent it this week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Movie: The Green Mile because it's just good, and I never get tired of watching it.

Book: The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith because I agree with just about every word of it that I've read so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Movie: The Green Mile because it's just good, and I never get tired of watching it.

Book: The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith because I agree with just about every word of it that I've read so far.

Skeptic.com is good. Expands your perspective.
I was getting ready to bookmark Skeptic.com, then I realized that I have a folder for it already where I had several bookmarks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Movie - As I posted on my movie post The 1946 Ghost and Mrs Muir

Book - Dan Brown's Da Vini Code....badly written but afair tale all the same

Website - www.quotesandsayings.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Movie - As I posted on my movie post The 1946 Ghost and Mrs Muir

Book - Dan Brown's Da Vini Code....badly written but afair tale all the same

Website - www.quotesandsayings.com

I like that link, also, about quotes and sayings. For a good reason, it means a lot to me what other people say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Film- The Consequences of Love- an italian film with one of the best soundtracks ive ever heard. Its made with such subtlety and grace, its almost perfect. Its also a bit sad, but well worth a look.
Book- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. About an african tribal member who struggles to cope with africa's transfer to british colonialism. Also rather sad.
Website- ScreenVader- the best flash site ive seen. 3d!

Wow, ScreenVader is awesome! That's the kind of revolutionary interface I think of when I imagine the next great leap in computers!

Movie - Failsafe - a great story about the possible consequences of nuclear weapons and war in general. The ending made a very powerful impression on me. Movies like this and Fahrenheit 451 are the kind of quality movies we just don't see these days.

Book: Red China Blues - a good insider/outsider perspective of the cultural revolution in China.

Website - www.wikipedia.com - I know everyone knows about it, but I think it one of the most valuable uses of the internet to date and is a perfect example of how the internet should be used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Website - www.wikipedia.com - I know everyone knows about it, but I think it one of the most valuable uses of the internet to date and is a perfect example of how the internet should be used.

Wikipedia is a good starting point in research, but it isn't the most reliable source out there. I heard about misinformation being presented on a certain article they had. And it wasn't anything controversial like Global Warming or Evolution either, it was the Wikipedia article on BROWN RICE! It was a couple of months ago that it was flagged, so everything should be ok in the article now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Wikipedia is a good starting point in research, but it isn't the most reliable source out there. I heard about misinformation being presented on a certain article they had. And it wasn't anything controversial like Global Warming or Evolution either, it was the Wikipedia article on BROWN RICE! It was a couple of months ago that it was flagged, so everything should be ok in the article now.

You are right, it is a great starting point. It is also an amazing way to pass time. Simply search something you have always wanted to know, then follow hyperlinks around. Best way to waste time.

As for it's validity, it usually isn't as bad as most make it seem. You can check the citations on almost all articles of any significance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are right, it is a great starting point. It is also an amazing way to pass time. Simply search something you have always wanted to know, then follow hyperlinks around. Best way to waste time.

As for it's validity, it usually isn't as bad as most make it seem. You can check the citations on almost all articles of any significance.

Why do they let ordinary people, who are browsing, "EDIT" and input their own information on certain sights?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.