Recent iTunes - no presets or manual equalizer for individual songs?

Reaction score
I purchased a new MacBook Pro a few months back, to replace one I previously had for six years or so, which in itself replaced a MacBook I’d had for about four years. The new MacBook came loaded with iTunes 12.1.2.27

It seems that the option to tailor individual music tracks (sound-wise) has been done away with. If this isn’t the case, then I just don’t yet know how settings are done with this new version of iTunes.

The earlier versions of iTunes allowed you to apply equalizer “presets” to individual tracks loaded into the library. And/or you could manually adjust various tonal ranges, if you chose to. You could adjust the volume level (for a given track) and also get different balances of bass, low mid-range, mid-range, and various treble ranges. The settings for that track you made would be retained unless and until you deliberately adjusted the equalizer again.

With 12.1.2.27, it seems the equalizer settings you try to make for any individual track will be spread or shared amongst all tracks in the library. NOT SATISFACTORY AT ALL!

Or am I missing something??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Right-click on a song in iTunes, then hit "Get Info". Click on Options, and do the obvious.

screenshot_79.png

For me, the changes affect that and only that song, and permanently. You can navigate to the next/prior song using the arrow keys at the bottom.

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay same problem (months later). Being very busy with other things and not adding a lot of new music tracks to my library, I have not dealt with this issue for months. But now I’m attempting to deal with the equalizer & volume issues again.

Okay, so I have a year-old MacBook loaded with iTunes 12.1.2.27

I can access the particular track for setting presets by highlighting the track title, then clicking File, then Get Info, then Options. However, if I want to tweak a preset’s frequency levels, my alterations do not seem to “stick” on that track. Whereas, with my old MacBook and iTunes, I was able to select a preset and then tailor it using the equalizer's Manual adjustments.

With my current OS & iTunes, I can get to the Manual equalizer by highlighting a track title, then clicking Window, then clicking Equalizer. Then I can adjust particular volume and frequency levels - however from what I can tell these seem to affect all my iTunes library tracks.

Plus, I do not think these adjustments last very long
. Even once it's adjusted for volume (using File/Info) a track that is too low-volume will go back to being soft (relative to the average track), one that is too high-volume will go back to being too loud (relative to the average track).

Please let me know your technique for getting good results. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I can access the particular track for setting presets by highlighting the track title, then clicking File, then Get Info, then Options. However, if I want to tweak a preset’s frequency levels, my alterations do not seem to “stick” on that track. Whereas, with my old MacBook and iTunes, I was able to select a preset and then tailor it using the equalizer's Manual adjustments.

With my current OS & iTunes, I can get to the Manual equalizer by highlighting a track title, then clicking Window, then clicking Equalizer. Then I can adjust particular volume and frequency levels - however from what I can tell these seem to affect all my iTunes library tracks.

Well this is the problem here. Going to Window » Equalizer does NOT set a custom preset for the current song. It is a master override that is not stored for any particular tracks. It's applied to ALL tracks as long as you have it turned on. If you want to make a custom preset for a particular track, open that Equalizer window and do so from the drop down menu, then save it with a unique name.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have the latest iTunes here. What LB said in his first post works and stays for that song. Right Click on Song, click on Get Info, then on Options. The only thing is you will have to use one of the Preset options like say Rock, Jazz, Etc but it does work and stick.

LB beat me to it. Make a custom one and save it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.