Recent iOS 13.1.2 update changed the name of my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Last night I dutifully updated my iPhone to the current iOS, 13.1.2
This morning I went to connect my iPhone to my Bose Bluetooth speaker only to have the speaked say, "Connecting to iPhone" except it didn't.
I tried again just in case I'd heard incorrectly but sure enough it was trying to connect to "iPhone"
The problem with that is that my iPhone is called "Rod's iPhone 7". I checked in General > About and sure enough my iPhone was now called "iPhone".
So I changed it back to it's previous name and the Bluetooth speaker immediately recognized it and connected.
I then checked my iPad which should have been "Rod's iPad #1" and sure enough it had reverted to "iPad".
Out of curiosity i connected the iPad to my MBP and opened iMazing, sure enough it saw it as a new iPad and asked if I wanted to trust this computer.
Changing the name back to "Rod's iPad #1" in iMazing has restored the list of backups and all seems normal.

So I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this problem but it seems easily fixed, just change the default name to whatever it was before. If not you will not have access to any previous backups. As for other issues well I'm not sure what it would mean for iTunes and App Store but I did check in iTunes > My Account and noted that the name of the device had changed in Devices there as well.

The only problem with the fix would be if you were unable to remember what the device was called. Either way its a bit of glitch on Apple's part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Didn't happen to me, Rod. So it's not systemic. Or universal. Be interesting to see if anyone else noticed it happening to them.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, it will. If it weren't for the fact that it happened on two different devices I wouldn't have mentioned it. I'm sure that once people get in their cars and find they can't connect to their Bluetooth system it will become more apparent. Of course it's possible some people don't actually "name" their devices. I always have because we have so many.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I've done three--two iPhones and one iPad and none had the name changed. So we wait to see if anyone else chimes in with the issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Two iPhones and one iPad. No name change here either Rod. Might have just been a glitch on your end.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I guess so. I always knew I was different.:Smirk:
Anyhow if it does happen to anyone else the fix is pretty easy.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No problem for me on my iPhone XS.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Having everyone saying that all is well with them is hardly a source of comfort to you, Rod:sd

Trying to think of a cause, I wondered if you updated OTA? Rather than via iTunes/iMazing?

The reason I mention this, is that once, some years ago and before I discovered iMazing, I was updating my iPhone and it was a "small" update. So I thought, why go to all the hassle of iTunes, I'll do it OTA.

Whether there was a drop out in signal or what, but Ian's iPhone reverted to 'iPhone" which is the name with which it shipped.

That's my only contribution, I'm afraid.

Ian

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In both cases of was OTA and I did wonder about that. In the past I had always done updates as part of backups or syncing on iTunes and more recently via iMazing. With the recent iOS 13 updates if have opened Settings on noticing the red number 1 on the app only to find that despite Automatic Updates being turned off the update is marked as "downloaded" only requiring a tap of the "Install Now" button. It seems that updates download over night when the iPhone is locked, plugged into AC power and connected to WiFi.
This puzzles me as it occurs with my wife's iPhone as well.
We both have Automatic Updates on for Apps and App Updates in the iTunes and App Store but that's different.
Upgrades on the other hand are a different matter requiring Download and Install approval. These day I would use iMazing for that.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rod, I think that Apple would certainly regard iOS 12 to iOS 13 as Upgrades and that should not happen automatically - but point changes within iOS 13 would be seen as Updates and that may just be covered within your "Automatic Updates for Apps and App Updates in the iTunes and App Store"??

Of course, I now appreciate your situation. It downloaded OTA by itself. So what do you do? 99% of people would just install.

I did read very recently, almost certainly in OS X Daily, that there is a way to delete a download and then re-download it "your way". Too late now, but I'll try and find it for future reference.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
One iPhone and one iPad updated. The iPad is on the beta and the iPhone on the live. They do not seem to have been renamed.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did all of the devices with OTA. All three required a last tap to Install after downloading the upgrade. As I said, none had name changes.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is odd. If it had only happened to one device I would have passed it off as user error or a minor glitch. I know it happened after the 13.1.2 update because I use my iPhone on Bluetooth every morning to listen to live streaming news from Australia and it was fine the morning before.
Given that this update proceedure is so familiar after beta testing for months I find it hard to believe it was an error on my part or that it could happen on two different devices but I can find no references online so I guess I'm just special.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.