• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Really Frustrated! Imovie 09 Will not Recognize Camera. Will Not Export in HD Youtube

Reaction score
Ok guys

I have a canon powershot a650 is . when i connect this camera to my macbook neither iphoto or imovie loads, i have to manually open each program.

Problem #1

iphoto recognizes the files on my camera, but imovie does not. i cannot even see "USB camera" as an option on the left side of my imovie screen. its not there

also when i click on "import from camera" it brings up the isight webcam...grrr

the only way around this is if i download the video via iphoto and then drag it into imovie that way. its very annoying

Problem #2

why is the video quality on this camera not that great? even the original full size file its kinda crappy not "HD" quality at all. it takes pictures in HD but the video is lacking...any1 familiar with canon cameras? is there some kind of setting that im not doing right.? do i have a choice of it exporting videos as AVI files?

Problem #3:

i updated to the newest version of imovie which allows u to export videos to youtube in HD. however when i try to export my movie in HD the HD option is greyed out and it wont let me perform that action

NEED HELP!

thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That Canon is NOT a video camera. I have a 590IS. It will do movies but only to the Memory Card. It's not a stand alone Video Camera. Just to be sure I checked my manual and Nada. The videos mine shoots are quite good for a Point and Shoot camera and better than any other P&S doing movies that I have ever owned. BUT, you have to copy the movies from the camera to the computer. You can not use it as a Video camera that shows up in iMovie. For the price I paid that would be one great feature though! :D

I have used the videos from my camera to show bad weather to my local news station and some were shown live.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Connecting camera via cable is not the optimal way for any camera. I'd suggest you get an SD reader for that. You'll find transfer times much improved. I keep a couple similar to this one in my camera bag.

The max resolution that camera will shoot is 640x480... not HD... you're not going to be able to change something shot low res to high res. Even if you could, you wouldn't want to.

Screen shot 2010-03-06 at 5.03.09 AM.png

C

chas_m

640x480 = sub-DVD quality.

Trying to blow that up to HD would look terrible, which is why the option is greyed out.

OP
M
Reaction score
640x480 = sub-DVD quality.

Trying to blow that up to HD would look terrible, which is why the option is greyed out.

is there any point & shoot camera that also has video recording capabilities that are HD?

OP
M
Reaction score
Connecting camera via cable is not the optimal way for any camera. I'd suggest you get an SD reader for that. You'll find transfer times much improved. I keep a couple similar to this one in my camera bag.

The max resolution that camera will shoot is 640x480... not HD... you're not going to be able to change something shot low res to high res. Even if you could, you wouldn't want to.

does the SD reader just improve transfer time? or is there any other benefit to it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Yes, there are many P&S still cameras that offer HD recording, most of them offer AVCHD Lite which is a 720p only recording. The list is really too long to give here of all of the cameras that offer it.

I'd suggest go here:

Buying Guide: Features Search: Digital Photography Review

and in the various drop downs select:

*Compact
*Movie Recording 1280
*Only Current Yes

You'll get a HUGE list of still cameras that record HD video, many higher quality than others. Dpreview is a really good site with a lot of info (although the people on the forums can be kinda rude at time).

A good SD reader *can* GREATLY improves the transfer time as most digital cameras don't excel at transferring data via USB.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, there are many P&S still cameras that offer HD recording, most of them offer AVCHD Lite which is a 720p only recording. The list is really too long to give here of all of the cameras that offer it.

I'd suggest go here:

Buying Guide: Features Search: Digital Photography Review

and in the various drop downs select:

*Compact
*Movie Recording 1280
*Only Current Yes

You'll get a HUGE list of still cameras that record HD video, many higher quality than others. Dpreview is a really good site with a lot of info (although the people on the forums can be kinda rude at time).

A good SD reader *can* GREATLY improves the transfer time as most digital cameras don't excel at transferring data via USB.

Hey THANKS! that website is great

the only thing is i dont see an option where i can select a flip out LCD screen
does that even exist?

a P&S camera with a flip out LCD screen (for taking self pix/video) such as the one featured on the canon 650is that also does HD video?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly, that I can't answer. My *guess* is that *maybe* one of the other canon line that looks similar to yours might have that feature - it's a feature I've had in a few still cameras, but have honestly never used so I never actually searched for the feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.