Reading/Writing to an external hdd

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an external harddrive here. I need to transfer data from an xserver g5 to a windows 2003 PC. I looked around and noticed that mac's do not support the windows ntfs format, so I formatted the drive using fat32.

When I hook up the external hdd to the xserve, via usb, how can I access this drive? Should it auto-detect?

Im very new to mac's and any help would be appreciated. Im running MAC OS X Server Version 10.3.9

Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Also, if I go in to Hardware - USB, I actually see the enclosure and the maxtor hdd so the system actually see's the hardware. How do I mount this drive and view it?

Here is another update: I hooked up this drive to another mac that I have which is running 10.4.6 and it detected and mounted the drive without any issues.

My 10.3.9 has all of the latest updates. Is there a patch or something that I must install? I also tried to install these drivers but still no luck:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=cd6d8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Mac's can support NTFS. I have this on my MacBook.
check out the following link.
http://shadowofged.blogspot.com/search?q=ntfs-3g
It's fairly easy to setup and get going. I now move my data between OSX and NTFS depending on what I need to do. It's still in dev but it sure does work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
If it is formatted to fat32 when you connect to the mac it should see it and place a drive icon onto the desktop...at least thats how it works on my mac book pro. I am assuming that x ser ve won't be much different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.