Rather alarming Security Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac G4 800Mhz, 256Mbs RAM, 8x CD burner
So I brought 2 iMacs home from school the other day, and I set them up as I needed to use DVD Studio Pro and burn 12 different DVDs (6 of each project). I noticed something rather alarming when I went to connect them to my wireless network protected by WPA or w/e. The iMacs simply connected to it no problem, no password/username asked, completely bypassed all security protocols on my router and connected to the net. :closed:

Is this normal? I don't want to see some guy randomly jacking into my wireless network with his Mac, especially since then I wouldn't be able to stop him from accessing my main home server system and start grabbing things off of it, adding things, deleting,...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Either:

- Your WPA had no password protection
- Your Macs had the password already in their keychain
- Your Macs didn't actually connect to the router you think, but another unprotected wireless network

OP
DarkLord7854
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has password protection, all the other comps require me to type it in, I've never used the iMacs on my network, and they were connected to my network =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It has password protection, all the other comps require me to type it in, I've never used the iMacs on my network, and they were connected to my network =\

Well this is a first, you should contact Apple and let them know Macs automatically crack 128-bit encryption.

OP
DarkLord7854
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried it again tonight, and for some reason they can't connect anymore o_O

I was using TKIP last time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Just my 2 cents.

I just got a a MacBook and I setup a new wireless network for my house, and the whole thing works great, and the Macbook asked me for the password for my wep key and then it just saved it in the key chain so I don't have to type it anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Just my 2 cents.

I just got a a MacBook and I setup a new wireless network for my house, and the whole thing works great, and the Macbook asked me for the password for my wep key and then it just saved it in the key chain so I don't have to type it anymore.

I recommend that you change to WPA. It is more secure.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never ever seen this happen and trust me, I have tried also. I am VERY into networking and security and take it very seriously and try everything to see if there is any way to get into the networks I set up. I have many Macs with WiFi and PC's also. NONE will ever get Internet with WEP, WPA and WPA2 on the router. Something is wrong. I still think that Zoolook is right in his post.

I have seen PC's get on but if you try to go to a page or anywhere on the network, nothing will happen. Your comment about being on the Net does not makes sense if all is set up right in your router with WPA or WPA2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.