• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

RANT! Windows... Arghhhhh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
[RANT]

I just had to turn on my Windows box to get some files and as is my usual practice, I checked for any critical updates. Of course there were some. So, I went ahead and installed them. After numerous Norton warnings, plus yet another Windows Genuine Advantage screening (with its dumb requirement to accept all its terms plus now, ANNOYING advertising about all the supposed benefits of Windows Genuine Advantage) PLUS a required reboot, I can FINALLY get to do the tiny bit of work I had turned the machine on for. ARGHHHHH..... I HATE Windows!!!!

[/RANT]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is why you should have done the work first, and THEN let it run its updates throughout the night ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
[RANT]

I just had to turn on my Windows box to get some files and as is my usual practice, I checked for any critical updates. Of course there were some. So, I went ahead and installed them. After numerous Norton warnings, plus yet another Windows Genuine Advantage screening (with its dumb requirement to accept all its terms plus now, ANNOYING advertising about all the supposed benefits of Windows Genuine Advantage) PLUS a required reboot, I can FINALLY get to do the tiny bit of work I had turned the machine on for. ARGHHHHH..... I HATE Windows!!!!

[/RANT]

If you liked that, then you're going to LOVE Windows Vista. I was going to install some software into my friends laptop at college about a week ago with vista. When I inserted the CD, Vista asked me if I wanted to allow or deny it. When the auto-run setup program ran, Vista, once again, asked me if i wanted to allow or deny. And when I ran the installer, Vista, for a THIRD TIME, asked me whether or not to allow or deny the installation. Although I can see why Microsoft is doing that for their new operating system, its extremely aggravating and annoying. On top of that, when the software was completely installed, and i tried to open it for the first time, V for the FOURTH TIME asked me whether or not to allow or deny.

Although Vista IMO gets pummeled by OS X, it does have some nifty features. One of them is ReadyBoost. ReadyBoost allows you to insert a flash drive into your USB port and use any empty space as RAM for your computer. Pretty sweet huh?

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking this, but does anyone know if OS X has a feature like that, or if it will come with Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
or... just turn automatic updates off :D
not as if its going 2 make much difference as long as its not a service pack update
But i guess better safe than sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you liked that, then you're going to LOVE Windows Vista. I was going to install some software into my friends laptop at college about a week ago with vista. When I inserted the CD, Vista asked me if I wanted to allow or deny it. When the auto-run setup program ran, Vista, once again, asked me if i wanted to allow or deny. And when I ran the installer, Vista, for a THIRD TIME, asked me whether or not to allow or deny the installation. Although I can see why Microsoft is doing that for their new operating system, its extremely aggravating and annoying. On top of that, when the software was completely installed, and i tried to open it for the first time, V for the FOURTH TIME asked me whether or not to allow or deny.

Although Vista IMO gets pummeled by OS X, it does have some nifty features. One of them is ReadyBoost. ReadyBoost allows you to insert a flash drive into your USB port and use any empty space as RAM for your computer. Pretty sweet huh?

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking this, but does anyone know if OS X has a feature like that, or if it will come with Leopard?

I remember installing Vista on my desktop to try it out. After getting the UAC popup for the third time, I went into the Control Panel and turned it off. I couldn't believe how annoying it was.

OS X has something similar, but it's FAR less intrusive. It only asks when it actually makes sense to ask, like when you're running System Updates. I haven't really noticed it anywhere else except maybe when a program has an installation wizard rather than doing the simple drag and drop into the Applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I never installed the numerous updates anymore for my Bootcamp XP mainly because for the small amount of Work I will do and the very limited Internet Access I require it's just a waste of my time.

Personally I think your main mistake is having Norton, and also like someone else said unless your Work required these updates you only ended up making more work for yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
ReadyBoost allows you to insert a flash drive into your USB port and use any empty space as RAM for your computer. Pretty sweet huh?

Whoa, slow down there. You mean I can buy a $20 512 MB flash drive, and use it for RAM? ****! Getting me some Vista! :) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I feel your pain!

Did the usual "check-up" on my old PC that I gave my parents after switching to Mac and once again just a TON of problems and nonstop windows annoyances not to mention a whole mess of spyware and typical windows problems I had to fix!

God I love my mac! lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That Genuine Advantage thing really chaps my hide. I have verified it 15x now and yet it still asks once in a while. What do they want, my blood? :spook:

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could agree that the real problem was having Norton (it certainly IS a problem), but you NEED this kind of paranoid defence in the Windows world.

The Turtle said it best...

God I love my mac! lol

Reaction score
AntiVir is good enough for my mom's machine. My Dad got convinced today after I showed him the Leopard sneak peak. He was flabbergasted that Apple has the time to think of such features while in Windows you can be happy if they fixed the next big security hole.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
AntiVir is good enough for my mom's machine. My Dad got convinced today after I showed him the Leopard sneak peak. He was flabbergasted that Apple has the time to think of such features while in Windows you can be happy if they fixed the next big security hole.

AntiVir has found everything that Norton has and more. I have seen that for real, Latest Updated Norton and it missed a virus that AntiVir found. That is all I use on my Windows machines plus it does not take a lot of resources to run either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
This makes the "Cancel or Allow" Get A Mac ad all the more hilarious.
"You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or Allow?"

As the great Homer J would say, "It's funny because it's true."

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to admit, I just love that particular ad. It may be the best of the bunch so far (...and that is a hard determination, so many of them have been SO good - what an inspired campaign!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Although I can see why Microsoft is doing that for their new operating system, its extremely aggravating and annoying.

Microsoft put the onus on you to protect your PC, with macs, the onus is on the OS to do it.

or... just turn automatic updates off

I did that once and my PC fell pray to several viruses within a week and had to reinstall windows. Youd think it would be more effective for MS to iron out all these security holes before they get found by hackers, but instead they wait for them to be found and then fix them.

Windows is so unbelievably fundamentally flawed, its amazing its got such a large market share. The upkeep time for a regular pc is at least 5 or 6 hours a month, its insane. Why does anyone even use it any more??? Its built on technology thats over a decade old! Its so sub-rate. It makes me so annoyed!

Reaction score
I don't think using a flash drive as RAM would be a nice feature. I's just like using harddisk space as virtual memory, much slower than real RAM

Reaction score
lol buy a 16gb flash drive and use it as ram.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well folks, lets remember that this would be pretty slow RAM. I am not sure that it would be all that valuable as such. Perhaps Vista is able to use it as virtual memory vs. the real thing? I can't help thinking that a Flash drive used as RAM would really slow down the machine... wait a minute, this is Vista we are talking about... who would notice??? :dive: :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Why would you want to use a USB (which on average sees around 200mb/s) when Mac OS X already uses it's hard disk space as virtual RAM (1.5Gb/s)?

ReadyBoost is pointless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Why would you want to use a USB (which on average sees around 200mb/s) when Mac OS X already uses it's hard disk space as virtual RAM (1.5Gb/s)?

ReadyBoost is pointless.

Well, the flash drive needs these requirements

2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads and 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes"

You can use up to four gigs of flash, and according to Matt Ayers, Program Manager in the Microsoft Windows Client Performance group these are his intentions for ReadyBoost

Q: Aren't Hard Disks faster than flash? My HDD has 80MB/sec throughput.
A: Hard drives are great for large sequential I/O. For those situations, ReadyBoost gets out of the way. We concentrate on improving the performance of small, random I/Os, like paging to and from disk.

So while ReadyBoost isnt AMAZING, it is good, and in no way useless. Its much better to have this feature than to not have this feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.