RAM Help Please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Ok, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy me some RAM. Netty inspired me ;)

Anyhow, I just want to make 100% sure I'm getting the correct one before I order anything! My Macbook is the 1.83GHz, 512MB jobby, if that's all the info you need? I'm still useless with this stuff lol but I'm learning! The RAM I'm looking at getting is this one...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=null&tm=null&sku=939040&category_oid=-31443

Assuming I'll be safe running 1BG in one and 256MB in the other? I read on here that it's ok... but I'm scared of hurting my baby Mac :(

So is this the correct one? Few words of encouragement needed!

Any help, as always is much appreciated guys and girls!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Its OK to do that, but not really recommended. You'll get much better performance with matched pairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
From my understanding (and I could be wrong) the performance difference is not really noticeable.

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Great, Thanks for the link!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Crucial sells EXCELLENT memory, I HIGHLY reccomend them. Great prices and a great product.

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Thanks, need some reassurance! I'm scared lol

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Thanks iKitten!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
ebuyer
novatech

these are some highly rated sites.
I personally have never ordered off novatech however my uncle had and he recieved greate service.
Ebuyer is very reliable and i was impressed with there service.

Hope this helps you in choosing which store to purchase from :black:

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Aw thanks to you too mikeyman!

I'm definitely going to place an order tomorrow... it's just a question of who with now! Spoilt for choice

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
From my understanding (and I could be wrong) the performance difference is not really noticeable.

I can't say that I've noticed a difference - but then, I've only really been using my MBP for light duty.

BTW, another vote for Crucial. The key thing is that they guarantee the memory's compatibility if you use their system profiler. They also have a lifetime warranty. I'm sure other vendors do as well - but you have to wonder, with the way online retailers can be, will they be in business if you need to go back to them.

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I'm never going to use programs that require super duper performance, so I guess it'll be ok to use non-matching pairs? I'd just like my programs to load a bit faster and make those beach balls disappear!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm never going to use programs that require super duper performance, so I guess it'll be ok to use non-matching pairs? I'd just like my programs to load a bit faster and make those beach balls disappear!

That should do the trick, 1GB seems to be the magic number.

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I ordered the 2 x 512MB pack from Crucial this evening, so fingers crossed they'll be here by thursday for me to stress about trying to fit them ;)

Thanks for all your help guys! Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll let you all know how it goes and whether I have eradicated the beach balls of dooooooom!!!

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Woooo! Thanks MHC! I've got my Homework sorted for the next couple of evenings...

I'll be so proud of myself if I manage to do it without any hitches. I tried to set up my wireless router when I first got my MB and that didn't go too well :( 3 days ( and a few temper tantrums ;) ) later it took my friend 10 minutes to sort out! So lets say I'm not too confident with ANYthing technical, however this looks as if it may restore my faith in all things computery! *touches wood*

M

MacHeadCase

Oh do I ever know about routers and how much they can be a pain to set up. In fact, networking eludes me so totally...

Just make sure your RAM is well snapped into place and you'll be doing fine. To make sure the new RAM is accounted for, just go to the menubar and click on About this Mac under the blue Apple logo.

The window will look like this (screenshot below...), the total amount of RAM should show up in it.

About.png

OP
Flic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
Great, Thanks (again) MHC. I'm feeling quite confident about my first RAM installation! And just a tiny bit excited ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.