RAM for Macbook pro mid 2010

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question and I hope I can find my answer here.

Can a Macbook pro mid 2010 run with other ram than DDR3 8500 1067MHz? It is the only compatible reference or there is others?

In my country I can't find that reference no more and I can't buy via Internet.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your logicboard is rated for that memory, you can try using a higher speed memory, but it won't work any faster since the logicboard is the limit. If you use memory with specs not designed for your Mac, you will experience strange issues.

If, for example, you take 1600 MHz memory and put it in, the 1067 MHz speed of the memory bus will cause issues with retrieval which will result in page faults and like kernel panics.

Most of us use OWC, Crucial and Kingston memory that's specific to our Macs. Not sure why you can't buy from the Internet, but you need the correct memory.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for you replies. Actually the shipping if very expensive, it cost more than a double of the RAM price. So I will be get a 8GB RAM for more than 120$!!

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for you replies. Actually the shipping if very expensive, it cost more than a double of the RAM price. So I will be get a 8GB RAM for more than 120$!!

I don't know how that would be, since it's a very small, light padded envelope they send it in...have you actually called them and discussed your shipping options? There also here:

OWC Knowledge base

Anyway, not sure how else you're going to get it unless you have a local vendor selling it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Hello,

Not much we can do about that for you unfortunately. But I will tell you that using incorrect RAM in your machine will make it unreliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for you replies. Actually the shipping if very expensive,

What part of the world do you live in???

There must be RAM dealers there that would handle compatible RAM for a reasonable cost and hopefully cheaper shipping.

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
What part of the world do you live in???

There must be RAM dealers there that would handle compatible RAM for a reasonable cost and hopefully cheaper shipping.

- Patrick
======

For the moment I'm living in Morocco. Yes for sure just because of the corona lock down most local electronics stores are closed, so I'll wait till this is over.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the moment I'm living in Morocco. Yes for sure just because of the corona lock down most local electronics stores are closed, so I'll wait till this is over.

Thanks!

If you want it sooner, a quick Google search shows many such stories seem to have a drive-by pickup or delivery service available and no doubt, probably at a decent price, but I didn't bother checking.

I would think that Mac RAM memory is pretty universal these days and available worldwide. And heck, most memory is made In various parts of Asia which is a lot closer for you so the freight charges should be considerably less for you over there.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
...the freight charges should be considerably less for you over there.

I'm still not getting why OWC would state that the shipping charge for the RAM would be more than the RAM itself (assuming the OP actually got a shipping quote from them). I've had things mailed to me in the US from Europe about the same size and weight (i.e. small, light padded envelope) for about $10.00 USD via the postal system. Maybe he was pricing a premium shipping service instead of the basic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still not getting why OWC would state that the shipping charge for the RAM would be more than the RAM itself

Maybe if the shipping by mail was not an option.

I recently ordered an item from eBay that I could not source from anywhere else, but I had to use their "ebay global shipping" which was the only option available to me and its total cost that was billed separately to my Visa account was almost as much as the item I had ordered.

And a similar occurrence for an item I ordered from Amazon.

Neither supplier would ship by US Mail to Canada which I find is usually quite affordable, even including any customs duty if any, which may only be $5 or $10. But certainly not the fastest but not too excessive. Canada Customs is the biggest holdup and delay.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither supplier would ship by US Mail to Canada which I find is usually quite affordable, even including any customs duty if any, which may only be $5 or $10. But certainly not the fastest but not too excessive. Canada Customs is the biggest holdup and delay.

It's usually because most suppliers that do a lot of business have an ongoing contract with the US Postal Service which saves them money for shipping and insurance. International shipping is usually not included in that contract and means the supplier would have to take the extra time and cost to ship.

You would think the cost to ship an item from a supplier in NY to a customer in California is more expensive than shipping an item from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. Apparently the way our Postal Service works is not the most efficient business or service. Which is why it's always losing money and has to be bailed out by increasing rates or taxes.

By the way, US law designates the US Postal Service as the only carrier that can handle and deliver first class mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.