• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

QuickTime: Unusably Slow Scrolling/Scrubbing on Certain Videos

Reaction score
Someone else posted this EXACT problem I'm having on the Apple Discussion Forum, but there isn't any input except a pat answer about trying it in Safe Mode which I'm sure has nothing to do with this. His description is spot on:

I honestly don't remember when I first noticed this myself, but it's been a good while. Most MP4 videos will scroll just fine forwards and backwards nice and briskly through the video, very responsive to your finger movement. However, a sizable minority of MP4 videos don't. You can swipe your finger fast and furious over and over again, and the playhead will barely move (I mean where it's almost as slow as playing back at real speed when you're swiping right multiple times per second). This is not a system "lag" issue, as all other operations are running smoothly and as expected and I can literally click back and forth between two videos and one will scroll normally and the other won't.

Using Inspector in Quicktime for two randomly selected MP4 videos (one that scrolls normally and one that doesn't), I see no obvious differences between the two files. Both are encoded at 30fps and are in the format H.264 HD (1-1-1).

Anyone else experience this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What size are the files, and what dimensions are they? GB, MB and 740p, 1080i, etc?

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I see what you mean. Have you looked in vlc Preferences? There are a lot of options under Show All. Or contact them, as they may not know people want that feature?

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I see what you mean. Have you looked in vlc Preferences? There are a lot of options under Show All. Or contact them, as they may not know people want that feature?

I'm sure it can be improved somewhat by tinkering with some advanced settings, but honestly I prefer QuickTime for videos (it's my default player) and just want it to do what it's supposed to do. Oh well, I guess it will remain a mystery why certain videos behave like this. It must have something to do with their encoding beyond the general details you see in Inspector.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.