Quicktime to MP3

Reaction score
How does one convert quicktime audio files to MP3 for burning a MP3 CD to play in the car.

My friends iTunes application just tells him that only MP3 files can be made into MP3 CD's.

My friend uses a Macbook pro with superdrive. running Mavericks 10.9.5. iTunes up to latest update for Mavericks.

Once again admin please feel free to move this post if its not in the correct place. Once I get a bit more used to this forum I will know where things need to end up.O:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What file format is this Quicktime audio in? Traditionally, Quicktime employs the the MOV extension and is both video and audio. Creating just an audio-only file doesn't happen by accident.

Now since you are mentioning iTunes, could you be referring to the AAC files instead?

The specific file type is important to know so that we can determine what you are trying to convert.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi thank you for your reply.

I don't really understand what your asking me for but have looked at the original file and under the kind header it says MPEG-2 transport stream.

The files have been taken off of a HDR DVB Television receiver. They are from the Radio stations on the receiver. Via a usb stick. and exported from that onto the iTunes app on his macbook.

What is the AAC file you refer to. In the import preferences on iTunes he has it set to MP3 is that any help?

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What your friend has are video files. The audio will need to be extracted from the video. Might want to give Mpeg Streamclip a try. Might be able to use Quicktime if the files are playable in Quicktime - here's a quickie google hit that includes both.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for that page link bobtomay, I have passed it on to him via email.

He is using Mavericks on his macBook pro, the page mentions lion, will it still be relevant today?

We are both really not very technical and have almost no knowledge about how stuff works on our computers. So forgive us if it seems we don't understand something that seems basic. ;PO:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The process should still work. I know that the current version of MPEG Streamclip works all the way through to the current OS (Yosemite). QuickTime still works as well under Yosemite so the steps should still work. QuickTime has trouble with lots of .ts files though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.