quicktime pro

Reaction score
Cannot save Audio/Video changes in Movie Properties or A/V Controls in Quick Time Pro application. Why?

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I assume that you are talking about the Pro version of QuickTime 7? I believe that's the last version actually referred to with the designation "Pro".

Are the save functions grayed out? If so you may need to re-enter the license key.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Syldude, No, nothing is greyed out. I opened the "Show Movie Properties" and A/V Controls. Made changes to both the audio and video, but nothing was saved. Anything I can do?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After you make the changes what happens if you choose Save As? I'm working from memory here since it doesn't seem to be installed for me at the moment.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi. If I only highlight a portion of video I want to change by using the A/V controls, and then click 'SAVE" FROM menu, changes are not saved. Nor are they changed when I close video with SAVE AS. I do have quick time pro.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found my QuickTime 7 Pro install. I'll try to test the following idea a bit later. Can you describe a with a bit more detail what you are trying to do and what changes you are trying to make? Will the section you are changing continue to be part of a larger video or will it be a separate clip.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi. I have some old videos transferred from VHS. I need to change video settings on a part of the video, but not all. I select the part of movie and change "brightness" for instance and then "SAVE". I go on from there to select other portions of video to make changes. However, when finished with editing the entire video, I SAVE AS. When I open the video another time, the edits will not have been saved. I even cut out these portions of video and edited them alone, then I put the new edited video back onto the original. The changes did not take affect. It seems when I had Leopard, that was not a problem. Now I have upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has been quite a while since I used QT Pro and I rarely use it for that kind of editing. You might find it easier to do that kind of editing in iMovie.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Slydude. Like I said before, it used to work beautifully with Mac OS 10.8, and was so easy to combine videos, edit etc. Didn't like the time element involved in iMovie, but may have to go back to it. Oh well!!!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The workflow you were using in QT Pro should still work. Not quite sure what is going on here.

It has been a while since I did any editing in QT Pro so it is hard for me to make suggestions till I have some time to experiment a bit.

C

chas_m

I just tested this myself, using my copy of QuickTime 7 Pro in Yosemite. I also could not get any changes made in A/V controls to "stick" in the exported movie, either using Save As or Export.

It might be necessary to buy a "new" license for QT Pro (how many years ago was that? Geez!), but I wouldn't try that as a first resort.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m;1613239\ It might be necessary to buy a "new" license for QT Pro (how many years ago was that? Geez!) said:
Is that still possible? I was having trouble locating my license key some time ago and tried to purchase a new one. IIRC I don't think I could even find a working link to the software much less purchase a license.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine runs under Yosemite fine. I noticed the problem a while back (maybe Mountain Lion). I went to re-install QT Pro and could not find the dmg file. I couldn't seem to locate it at home so I went to the Apple site. I don't remember if I got the dead link or Apple's equivalent of "these are not the drones you're looking for".

I see they have restructured the site a bit. QT 7 is there. I think the problem came about when attempting to purchase another QT Pro license.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Slydude. I'm reluctant to do much of anything at this point in case of making things even worse. It was so nice and easy when QT Pro did work. Combining movies, editing, adding music etc. instead of having to go to iMovie which was such a time-consuming endeavor.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wish I could be more help here. I've got a couple of other programs on the hard drive that might help a bit. I'll try to experiment a bit and see if I can find a good alternative. It will be this weekend before I have time to do anything with it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.