Questions

Reaction score
I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place. I just switched from pc to mac and I was just wondering some things.

I have to run Windows on Boot Camp because my school doesn't allow me to run Windows on Parallel, How do I install Boot Camp?

On Windows in Parallel, can I run anything my PC could in Windows?

And will it be possible to install Windows on both Boot Camp and Parallels?

Thanks in advanced!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You can definitely run both, yes, but you'll have to keep two separate installs. As for anything in Parallels? I think so, which makes it odd that your school wouldn't "allow" it. What business is it of theirs what you do with your computer?

When I was in college I took a programming class and we weren't "allowed" to use a Macintosh, but I did anyway since I had the same version of GCC that the class was using.

C

chas_m

I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place. I just switched from pc to mac and I was just wondering some things.

I have to run Windows on Boot Camp because my school doesn't allow me to run Windows on Parallel, How do I install Boot Camp?

Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs

EDIT: Additional info found in another thread: Mac 101: Boot Camp
(refers to Leopard but applies also to Snow Leopard)

On Windows in Parallel, can I run anything my PC could in Windows?

And will it be possible to install Windows on both Boot Camp and Parallels?

Yes you can run anything that your PC would have.

And yes, you can use the same Windows install for Boot Camp and for Parallels, but you have to set up Windows in Boot Camp first.

And don't forget that you will need a NEW, unused copy of Windows for this. For this reason I recommend either XP Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And yes, you can use the same Windows install for Boot Camp and for Parallels, but you have to set up Windows in Boot Camp

Oh... neeeeaat. Am I actually missing something by not running Windows on here?

C

chas_m

Oh... neeeeaat. Am I actually missing something by not running Windows on here?

Yes -- you're missing out on the thrill of losing at least 20-30GB of disc space, the joy of contracting viruses and spy/malware, and of course the lovely Blue Screen of Death. There's also those amusing "fatal error" messages with no helpful information in them, and last but not least the sheer delight of having the Win partition go corrupt and take your Mac partition down with it.

I keed. You also miss out on some fun games and the occasional useful app that doesn't quite have a Mac equivalent yet, like say ACDSee Pro 3. :D

I've never installed Windows on any of my Macs and have never missed it, but I'm not much of a gamer (and gaming via Windows on my Mac sounds to me like a good way to shorten the life of the processor).

If there's something specific you would like to install Windows for, by all means go for it -- its part of the untapped potential of your Mac, I suppose. Just be SURE your backups are solid and kept up-to-date -- we get a LOT of posts here about how the Win partition can sometimes "take over" and trash the Mac partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well there is Virtual PC for PPC Macs. But that's like saying "how to make windows even worse". Stear clear. But the option is there.

C

chas_m

Well there is Virtual PC for PPC Macs.

People on this forum keep saying this, but it's not true.

Microsoft discontinued Virtual PC in August 2006. It is not a product that is available, nor has it been available for almost four years now.

Even if you could find an old used copy on Fleabay or somewhere, it's quite unlikely to work properly with Tiger or Leopard.

Finally, as you noted, it was a completely crap product from the get-go, and Microsoft did absolutely nothing to improve it. You'd get faster results by going out to a store and buying a PC netbook while waiting for it to boot up.

At this point, mentioning VPC as an "option" is a lot like saying a dead parrot is "just resting." :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Klaze, you don't "install" Boot Camp, it's already part of Snow Leopard. Just run Boot Camp Assistant and follow the instructions. It will ask you to choose a size for your Windows partition, and you'll need a copy of Windows. Print out the instructions before installing Windows. Boot Camp will let you boot into Windows by holding down the Option key when you start up your computer. This is exactly like using Windows on a regular Windows machine.

After your partition is loaded with Windows, install Parallels and follow the setup instructions. I believe you can install Parallels without first using Boot Camp, but I think you wouldn't be able to boot into Windows natively, only from within OS X. But I may be wrong about that.

You'll want the option to boot into Windows natively because running some graphics-intensive programs through Parallels will be glitchy. It will work for most things though.

OP
K
Reaction score
You can definitely run both, yes, but you'll have to keep two separate installs. As for anything in Parallels? I think so, which makes it odd that your school wouldn't "allow" it. What business is it of theirs what you do with your computer?

When I was in college I took a programming class and we weren't "allowed" to use a Macintosh, but I did anyway since I had the same version of GCC that the class was using.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, my college does allow mac for my programming program, but I got to run Windows on Boot Camp, hopefully they will change it this year in Sept.

OP
K
Reaction score
Klaze, you don't "install" Boot Camp, it's already part of Snow Leopard. Just run Boot Camp Assistant and follow the instructions. It will ask you to choose a size for your Windows partition, and you'll need a copy of Windows. Print out the instructions before installing Windows. Boot Camp will let you boot into Windows by holding down the Option key when you start up your computer. This is exactly like using Windows on a regular Windows machine.

After your partition is loaded with Windows, install Parallels and follow the setup instructions. I believe you can install Parallels without first using Boot Camp, but I think you wouldn't be able to boot into Windows natively, only from within OS X. But I may be wrong about that.

You'll want the option to boot into Windows natively because running some graphics-intensive programs through Parallels will be glitchy. It will work for most things though.

Thanks a lot, that cleared up alot. So the Boot Camp is a part of the snow leopard, so I guess I just have to install the snow leopard that comes with the Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Suggestion for a more useful topic title:

Questions about Boot Camp

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jamie-jamie: just noticed the specs in your sig. You WERE aware that putting Windows on is an Intel-Mac-Only thing, right?

Yeah. I still have an old copy of Connectix VirtualPC on the G4. When I feel like restarting to OS 9. But I've eyed the Boot Camp preference pane on my Mac Pro for a while, wondering if I should try it just to see this perversion of reality. :D

OP
K
Reaction score
sort marshy

I was wondering, if the Boot Camp asks me, how much to partition?, how much should I partition? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
But I've eyed the Boot Camp preference pane on my Mac Pro for a while, wondering if I should try it just to see this perversion of reality. :D
There's no point if you don't need Windows. I would have never installed Windows if I didn't need to use it occasionally. Almost every time I use Windows I'm reminded why I switched to Mac. :)

klaze said:
I was wondering, if the Boot Camp asks me, how much to partition?, how much should I partition? Thanks!
That depends on how much you are going to use your Windows side. Are you going to install a lot of software, are you going to save a lot of files, and are you going to use software that needs a lot of temporary hard drive spaces? Answer these questions and you should know. I don't use my Windows XP that much so I only gave it 50 gigs but if you are using it for school then you might want to give it more. I believe XP only needs 32 gigs minimum but I could be wrong. The other versions of Windows might need more though.

OP
K
Reaction score
expressed motocar

I was just wondering, this may be a dumb question, but if I install Windows on Boot Camp and Parallel and give each like 75 GB partition, and my mac has 250GB hard drive, would it be 250-75-75?

And once I partition these, can I like un-partition them?

Thanks in advanced!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
No. As far as I know it'd be:

250GB total for the drive split into 2 partitions:
1. 75GB partition for Bootcamp.
2. 175GB for OS X. And Parallels just installs itself on your OS X partition and takes up space as virtual app running windows. Sure the OS X partition would have 75 of it's GB used up by Parallels but you do not need 3rd partition for it. only the 2 I have mentioned.

And yes you can un and re-partition your drive as often ad you like. But if you use bootcamp to partition a drive, please also use bootcamp to return it to one partition. It seems to work much better this way.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your replies and help.

I have another question, in Windows 7, would I need to get a anti-virus for it too? or can I use the anti-virus from mac os? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
No. As far as I know it'd be:

250GB total for the drive split into 2 partitions:
1. 75GB partition for Bootcamp.
2. 175GB for OS X. And Parallels just installs itself on your OS X partition and takes up space as virtual app running windows. Sure the OS X partition would have 75 of it's GB used up by Parallels but you do not need 3rd partition for it. only the 2 I have mentioned.

And yes you can un and re-partition your drive as often ad you like. But if you use bootcamp to partition a drive, please also use bootcamp to return it to one partition. It seems to work much better this way.

Just to clarify - and maybe I read this wrong but in point 2 - the OS X partiton doesn't have to loose another 75GB - Parallels could just points to bootcamp partition. Unless you wanted to have 2 different windows installs, one a virtual machine, one native. This is true for VMWare as well. If you point to a bootcamp partition, either piece of software takes very little space on your hard drive. If you actually want to run a virtual machine - then it takes up as much space as you allocate. One other hint - exclude your virtual machines from your time machine backup or you'll be backing up gigs of data every time you open your virtual machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.