Questions on Upgrading to Mavericks, pages and Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
I am going to do a major upgrade.
(1) I am currently running OS X 10.6.8 and want to upgrade to Mavericks . I have 4 GB of memory. Is there anything I should know before I attempt this ?

(2) I also have iWork 08 and my Pages is 3.0.3 . Will documents I saved in Pages (08) 3.0.3 open in the latest version of Pages or do I need to go back and save all of them as PDF's ?

(3) I am currently running Safari 5.1.10 . I got a message I need to upgrade that since it is no longer supported by Apple. Do I need Mavericks to upgrade Safari? Or can I just do it with Snow Leopard?
I hope it is OK to put all of these questions in one posting
Any tips or suggestions will be helpful
Thanks in advance
Barbara

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Barbara Jay:

1. Yes. Add more memory to your Mac. 4 GB is the bare minimum for running Mavericks. Since you didn't mention which Mac you have, I can't advise you on how much memory can be added.

2. I'm not sure how well iWork 08 will run in Mavericks. I was able to install my copy of iWork 08 in Mavericks but Pages refused to open. Save your documents to PDF or RTF or buy the latest version of Pages for $19.95.

3. Upgrade your copy of Safari to the latest that will run in Snow Leopard and later after Mavericks is installed, you can update it again.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks
My computer specs only allow a maximum of 4GB of memory, I upgraded to that to when I install Snow Leopard . Looks like I will need to buy a new computer :(

I will buy the latest Pages if it will allow the documents to open. I have a gazillion docs that I saved in Pages and it will be a monumental task to convert all of them to PDf's
I still have my original iWork 08 disc so I could reload it if the new version of Pages will not open my documents

As long as the latest version of Safari will work with Snow Leopard I will upgrade to that.

I realize some of my questions make me look like a ditz, but actually I am well into my 70's and trying to keep up with technology LOL
Thanks
Barbara

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A young 70 I'm sure. :)

Mavericks will run with the 4 GB but it won't be a stellar performer. The iWork 08 documents may be more of a problem, however. There's no guaranty that iWork 08 will install properly in Mavericks. It gave me problems, but since I purchased a new iMac, Apple included the latest version of Pages, Keynote, and Numbers as a free download.

I think for now it's probably best to stick with 10.6.8 until you can purchase a new Mac. Later on when you do get a new Mac, you can decide about buying the newer version of Pages.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it is wise to wait for Mavericks until I buy a new computer. It will be on it.
4GB of memory these days is almost like using a 78 rpm record player :)
Plus it will give me time to convert my documents to PDF's.

It appears the version of Safari I need for Snow Leopard is 5.1.10 . I found a link for that.

How did you persuade them to give you a free upgrade to iWorks ?

Thanks again
Barbara

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I didn't have to persuade them. It was a special at the time for new purchases of an iMac or MacBook Pro. I believe they're still giving away iWork for new purchases. Maybe you'll be able to get a free copy also when you buy a new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I think it is wise to wait for Mavericks until I buy a new computer. It will be on it.
4GB of memory these days is almost like using a 78 rpm record player :)
Plus it will give me time to convert my documents to PDF's.

It appears the version of Safari I need for Snow Leopard is 5.1.10 . I found a link for that.

Hi Barbara - cannot add much to Chscag excellent advice, but keep in mind that Apple will likely release a new OS X (i.e. Yosemite, OS 10.10) next month, so you might want to wait a little while - also, Apple has been offering 'free' iWorks apps w/ new purchases of their computers, so might could be part of the package?

And YEP 4 GB is pretty measly for a modern computer, so a new one seems to be in your near future - e.g. my digital camera has an 8 GB SD card - and I'm not quite 70 y/o yet but I do remember 78s (although I've been a complete CD convert since 1984) - good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
You could update to Mavericks and get the free trial of iWork '09. Use it to step your documents forward from iWork '08. That will allow them to be opened in the later Pages versions.

Find iWork '09 trial here (a real pain at Softpedia to figure the right thing to click on):
Download Apple iWork '09 (Mac) - Softpedia

Make sure to have a backup of your documents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.