Questions on MacBook or Pro???

Reaction score
Hey I'm a sixteen year old kid who is in need of a new computer badly. I have an old iBook G4 and am looking for a new computer that will be the laptop I take to college with me. I am looking very much at a nice deal on ebay for a black macbook with 2.0ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 200 GB HD, obviously 13" screen for 1500 dollars. I have many questions so bless the kind soul who can answer at least some of them... I would like answers from people who have used both the MacBook and the Pro if you can.

1) Is the screen too small? Can you use it at a desk or do you need to use it on your lap? Can you see whats on the screen clearly from a decent distance (watching a movie or Front Row)

2) If I want to use Photoshop or iMovie/Final Cut Pro will the RAM be good enough?

3) Can I use Boot Camp or Parallels easily with this amount of RAM?

4) Will the Integrated Video be okay for iMovie/FCP and Photoshop?

5) Can you name a few programs that a kid my age might use that need Video Memory?

6) How is its portability? Is it nice to walk around with? Does it strain your back?

7) Hows the glossy screen? Does it glare a lot?

Thanks in advance and hope to talk to you from my new MacBook/Pro soon,
Burton8219

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
When are you going to college?

IMO it's not a really good idea to buy a laptop for college 2 years prior to going to college... That's a pretty good deal for those specs. It would surely do all you want it to do. The vRAM will only be useful for 3D applications (games included) Some like the gloss (mostly indoor use) some don't (mostly outdoor use). You probably won't find a more portable laptop than the Macbook.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm going to college the year after this so its only one year in advance... Do you have a Macbook?

Reaction score
ANOTHER related QUESTION:
I am also interested in one thing. What is the difference with the regular and Pro Macbook in time needed to encode a video, for example making a divx or ripping a dvd and making another format? Is Pro better and much faster in this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm going to college the year after this so its only one year in advance... Do you have a Macbook?

I would certainly wait to get a lappy for college until maybe a month before your first semester. There will surely be 1 or 2 revisions (upgrades) between now and the time you go off the college.

No... I don't have a macbook, why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
1) Is the screen too small? Can you use it at a desk or do you need to use it on your lap? Can you see whats on the screen clearly from a decent distance (watching a movie or Front Row)

The size of the screen depends upon on what you intend to use it for.

I would risk to say that it's an excellent college machine. But I don't see myself watching movies from a distance on it.

2) If I want to use Photoshop or iMovie/Final Cut Pro will the RAM be good enough?

I don't know about Final Cut Pro, but Photoshop CS3 runs GREAT with 2GB ram.

3) Can I use Boot Camp or Parallels easily with this amount of RAM?

For sure!

4) Will the Integrated Video be okay for iMovie/FCP and Photoshop?

Photoshop, yes. Not sure about FCP.

5) Can you name a few programs that a kid my age might use that need Video Memory?

bump.

6) How is its portability? Is it nice to walk around with? Does it strain your back?

You won't find anything better for this purpose.

7) Hows the glossy screen? Does it glare a lot?

I have it and I love it. As far as I always use my screen brightness at max, I never have a problem. But I've never used it outdoors.

Reaction score
The screen is bad with a lot of lighting but I like the glossy finish on pcs and macs it really brings out the colours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
I can give another prespective on a few of the questions. Im heading off to college this september, and just picked up a MB for that purpose.

2GB of Ram is surely enough. Anymore is overkill.
I LOVE the screen. It seems to be the perfect size. I thought it would be alittle small, but I really dont see myself needing anything bigger.
Its very portable. Easy to carry around, and quite lightweight. The battery life is also a plus!

The major differences btw the MB and MBP is the CPU and VRAM. The CPU is almost neglible, the difference btw 2 and 2.16 is hardly noticeable, although there is a noticeable boost in the 2.3ghz range. But if you really want 5 years out of your laptop, it may be best to go with the faster CPU in the MBP. There isnt anyway to upgrade it.

It depends on what you will be using the VRAM for. If editing videos is your thing than you may need it. Hardcore gaming, definitely need it. Aside from those i dont see a huge need for it right now.

OP
B
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go ahead and get this MacBook for a couple reasons (sorry again for the list... im a little list crazy)

1) 13" is great for a LAPTOP. Lets not forget this is a laptop, and should be smaller than a desktop. 17" on a laptop is insane. I have a 17" display on my iMac and it's perfect. And if I really need more screen for my video/photoshop projects i'll go buy a 17" LCD for like 150 bucks.

2) 2.0ghz C2D is twice what I have on my iBook and it should be fine for what i use it for including iMovie, Photoshop, Final Cut, and Garageband.

3) 2GB Ram is 4 times of my 512 in my iBook. And this should be more than enough for anything I can throw at this machine including Boot Camp and Parallels. As for the MBP being able to hold 3GB, which is an argument someone used to sway me towards the MBP, WHO NEEDS 3GB OF RAM??? honestly.

4) The specs are amazing for such a small machine... I mean cmon 2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB ram, 200GB HD, 6x Superdrive(might be my favorite part... i love burning movies)

5) The portability of this machine is awesome. Its so light (5lbs)

6) The price I am getting all of this for, while it is used for 3 months, is amazing at $1500. And i can still get AppleCare which I will do.(Can't be too careful)

7) This computer should last me through college because it is a solid machine and fast as ****. I know they will make revisions to the MacBook, possibly go the way of the iBook(which I doubt but could happen) for college and for the next year this is a great computer at a great price

Thanks all of you guys for your input and advice. I will post pics of my new beauty when I get it via UPS Ground(GAG ME).

Thanks a ton,
Burton8219

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.