Questions about Time Machine & reinstalling OS

Reaction score
After years of use my 2009 macbook is running slow and I want to erase the hard drive and re-install the OS to see if I can get it to work effectively again.

I have everything backed up on an external hard drive with Time Machine.

I have unfortunately lost my instal discs, but hopefully by following these instructions I will be successful:

https://www.apple.com/ca/osx/recovery/

My main concerns are:

1: Once I have reinstalled the fresh OS, can I pick and chose just what programs and file I want from the Time Machine back up? I don't want to re-load the hard drive with everything that was on it before and things remain just as slow. If yes, how?

2: Can I use time machine to re-install previously installed programs, such as Microsoft office? I don't think I have all my installation discs for them lying around either.

Any advice I can get to help make this process run smoothly would be appreciated.

Thanks

My Computer as is:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Recovery works just great ~ BUT ~ only with OS X>7 and later, not Snow Leopard. Eiher dig outnthose discw or purchase a new DVD from Apple Online.

Your MacBook will handle 8GB of memory and the 2GB is miniscule so consider upgrading. OWC and Crucial recommended memory suppliers.

Reaction score
You can not simply install Microsoft Office from the backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Ron advises, larger suites such as Office and Adobe do not migrate well and generally require re-activation at least, or sometimes removal and a clean install which with Office 2011 is the pits!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't speak for Adobe products since I don't own any, but when I migrated everything from my 2011 iMac to a new 2013 iMac, MS Office 2011 migrated without a hitch. I fully expected to have to reactivate it but it never asked and everything worked fine. So, I guess the answer with MS Office is: it depends.... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.