Questions About Buying, and Mac in general

O

Oz10

I'm new to this Forum, and to Mac's in general. I haven't yet made the switch, I am waiting for Mac X Panther to come out. I am planning on buying a 12" iBook, 900MHz, 256MB RAM, 60GB HD, Combo Drive. I'm not sure to get the 12" or the 14". I will be using the labtop for, mostly carrying around, surfing the net, messenging, email, some video editing, and NO games. I will be carrying it around lots, but I am worried that the 12" is too small. I am VERY excited to switch to Mac, I've had PS's all my life, and I'm just tired of them, they suck! I will bever buy another one, I'm switching, and I'm not going back. I'm also wondering wut I will need to do to get all my files, mp3's and favorites from my PC, to my Mac. I dun wanna waster like $80 on that kit, can I just burn everything on CD's and pop it into the Mac? Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There are many individuals here that have switched. I will leave it to them to help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
When I got my iBook, I felt the 12" was simply too small for my needs (web-surfing, spreadsheets, word-processing, email, and occasional videos). The 14" is still extremely portable, and also offers slightly extended battery life (at least according to Apple). As for transferring files - I didn't have a large amount to transfer, so I actually sent all the files I needed over Instant Messenger. There are obviously quicker and more efficient ways of doing it, but it worked for me. Oh, and by the way, your Mac enthusiasm is excellent. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I love my 12" iBook. I'm glad I didn't go for the 14", cause for me, it would've been too big. I usually keep mine plugged in, so I can't give any battery experiences. You can purchase a $10 crossover cable, and transfer everything over Ethernet. That would be the easiest method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Oz10 said:
I'm new to this Forum, and to Mac's in general. I haven't yet made the switch, I am waiting for Mac X Panther to come out. I am planning on buying a 12" iBook, 900MHz, 256MB RAM, 60GB HD, Combo Drive. I'm not sure to get the 12" or the 14". I will be using the labtop for, mostly carrying around, surfing the net, messenging, email, some video editing, and NO games. I will be carrying it around lots, but I am worried that the 12" is too small. I am VERY excited to switch to Mac, I've had PS's all my life, and I'm just tired of them, they suck! I will bever buy another one, I'm switching, and I'm not going back. I'm also wondering wut I will need to do to get all my files, mp3's and favorites from my PC, to my Mac. I dun wanna waster like $80 on that kit, can I just burn everything on CD's and pop it into the Mac? Thanks

First: Welcome to the forum, and the Mac world. I would say the 12'' just because its small cool, same resolution as the 14'' which means that the 12'' is tighter pixels (better). Yes you can just burn it on a CD and stuff it into your mac :) Though! you may run into a problem or two with certain things.. but ruffly it should work. Mp3s for sure, and also for sure you will be able to see everything you burned, though I can't ensure you that you will be able to read a few things.. unless you have VPC then its all good in both ways :)

In conclusion, 12'' (my personal opinion) and yes. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Geez...where's the love for the 14" iBooks? :p

OP
O

Oz10

Thanks to all of u, I'm SOOO glad I found this forum, I was SOOO worried that I would get my mac, mac, and have SOOO many dificulties with like general running. But I see how helpfull eveyone on this forum is. I have decided to buy the 12", cuz I dun need big when I'm carrying it around, and when I'm at home, I can hook it up to my TV (I can do that rite??) I am curious as to which files would/will not work, the only files I need to transfer are: word (Microsoft Word), Mp3's, Favorites, and maybe a few movie files.

That's all the questions for now,btw, I can't wait to get my iBook, I can't wait to stop using this PC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those should be fine.. I don't know about the favorites though ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah favorites should just be url links.. basic html.. everything you mentioned it shouldnt be a problem transferring them. Although of course you will need Word for Mac to read your Word files :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about needing word to read them.. I see a .doc file and I can open it with appleworks 6.?.? (most recent)... it converts it of course but it can read it all the same...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
appleworks can read and write word files and so can ThinkFree office which is a cheap office suite that i highly recommend. they sell it on apple.com and in the apple stores

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok sorry about that.. I should have specified that he was going to need to purchase a program to read those word files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.