Question mark on startup???

Reaction score
Just started recently. When I power my MacBookPro up ... for a split second I get the old folder with question mark on it, and even seems to boot a little slow. I've run every disk utility that comes with the machine, even booted off CD and ran the utilities to check ram, etc. All those tests come back fine, no problems.

Could this be software related? Nothing has really changed, other than me playing the tar out of some World of Warcraft! I disabled my 'skinning' ap, Shapeshifter, just to see if the skin could be causing some issues. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks.
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Check in System Preferences>>>Start-Up Disk.. Make sure your Hard Drive is selected.

OP
R
Reaction score
yeah, just checked that, it plus the the network startup is all that's in the list, and I highlighted it, just to make sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Do you still have the "?" Folder?

If so you may want to use MainMenu or Onyx to do some " deep cleaning"

OP
R
Reaction score
I just closed everything and restarted. Didn't get it that time, don't know if it's due to me removing the skin or making sure that was checked. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it does it after a complete shut down, since I did a restart instead of a complete shut down, I know sometimes that makes a difference. If it continues, I'll check out those product links.

Thanks again!
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm sure you just needed to select/highlight the Hard Drive as you did... you should be all set now.

OP
R
Reaction score
keeping my fingers crossed. Not sure how that could've gotten changed, but you never know.

Thanks again. I have downloaded those aps, cause I do like to do reutine maintenance.

Much appreciated!
J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.