Question About Updates

Reaction score
Hey, guys! I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) that I restore to factory settings about twice a year to keep it running smoothly. I believe that it came with 10.6 installed. Anyway, there are two updates that I have to download each time and they are about 1GB each. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but my internet is TERRIBLE in my current location. We have the best provider and package possible... and we only get 6Mbps. :-/

So... here's my question. Is there any way that I can download them manually and save them on a drive so that I don't have to do it every time?

Thanks in advance!

- Alex

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey, guys! I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) that I restore to factory settings about twice a year to keep it running smoothly.

The true solution to this problem is to stop doing this 2x/year "restoring". It is totally unnecessary.

But that being said…you never specifically said what these 2 updates are. I don't have this sort of stuff memorized;) (especially for a pretty old OS version)…so it's very hard to say if they can be downloaded and saved separately. But more than likely…this is one of them (10.6.8 Combo Update):

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Very true, but I forgot to mention that it has been a long time since the last restore. My Mac is getting up there in age and I sometime go on download / installing frenzies thus adding a bunch of unnecessary stuff. I find it easier to just wipe it and start fresh as apposed to "cleaning".

Thanks for that link. I honestly don't remember what the updates were. I will check next time I restore.

P.S. I knew someone was going to say that it was unnecessary. ;-)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. I knew someone was going to say that it was unnecessary. ;-)

I understand your reasons for doing it (downloading/installing frenzies).:) Uninstalling & finding everything that was installed (and deleting all this) can be more time consuming (or a headache) than just doing an OS reinstall.

The "factory reset" can be more of a hassle for some folks that have lots of apps installed (and want to keep them installed). So for these folks…a "factory reset" can be more of a hassle. Since (depending on their backup situation) not only do they need to reinstall the OS…they have to (one by one) reinstall every app they have installed. Which may involve finding the original install disks…and associated serial numbers. All of which can be a hassle.

So when you said that you do factory resets 2x/year…you didn't really give us any additional info why…or if you needed to reinstall apps after the reset. So naturally for most folks that understand what's going on with computers…the logical response it…"You don't need to do this.";)

By the way. I have another solution for you.:) The next time you do one of these "factory resets"…use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a clone of this fresh hard drive setup immediately after the OS install….and store this "virgin clone" on an external HD or USB stick.

Then the next time you want to do a hard drive wipe/reset. Just boot the computer externally…and copy this clone to the MacBook Pro. BAMM…you're good to go.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
So when you said that you do factory resets 2x/year…you didn't really give us any additional info why…or if you needed to reinstall apps after the reset. So naturally for most folks that understand what's going on with computers…the logical response it…"You don't need to do this.";)

Haha, no worries! I don't use many apps to begin with (I like to keep it light so that it runs smoother) so it's pretty easy to set up again and I keep all of the program setup files on an external. Honestly, that darn update is what takes the longest. I really appreciate the speedy replies! :)

Hey, that's not a bad idea! How big would that file be? Oh, and what do you mean by booting it externally?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, that's not a bad idea! How big would that file be? Oh, and what do you mean by booting it externally?

The file size would be the same size as a fresh OS install. I think that a fresh OS install of 10.6 (updated up to 10.6.8)…should be less than 10gig. I don't know exactly (I haven't had the need to check). It could be far less than 10gig…maybe even 6-8gig.

Booting externally means…booting the computer from an external source (not from the internal HD). So it could be from an external HD or from a USB drive with the OS installed on it.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Booting externally means…booting the computer from an external source (not from the internal HD). So it could be from an external HD or from a USB drive with the OS installed on it.

Okay, gotcha! I did some research on SuperDuper! and it seems fairly simple. Basically I would just set my computer up like I normally would (minus all my personal files) and then copy my drive over to an external drive. All I have to do is boot my computer from the external drive the next time I want to restore and then copy it over to my internal drive. Presto, I have a new computer! ;-)

Thank you, sir!

P.S. This would be nice to store on a flash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.