Question about laptop charger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It's the middle connector in the diagram above that I tried without success.

But I would think that maybe there are different qualities of shrink wrap tubing and some has a larger "shrink ratio" so to speak.

Knute

I somehow doubt it but I haven't been involved or needed to use any for several years now.

A tape that probably would work well would be some of the rubber waterproofing tape or Silicone Self Fusing tape that's often used with deep well submersible pump wiring etc., but one would have to know somebody involved in the industry that might have a small bit to spare as of roll of it will probably cost a lot more than a replacement cable.

As I mentioned previously, molding and tapering the glue or caulk from a hot glue gun works well. It's cheap too.... ;-)

One can so also try winding a spring from an old ballpoint pen at the ends to save extreme cable flexing but usually not worth the effort.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That power supply is a pain to get open so be warned!

Almost anyone can get those doing things opened if they've got a big enough hammer, screwdriver and pliers. :Smirk:

The hard part is getting it back together so it looks at least a bit presentable and will hold itself together.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
One can so also try winding a spring from an old ballpoint pen at the ends to save extreme cable flexing but usually not worth the effort.
- Patrick
======
That is actually an interesting idea. Wonder if anybody tried that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everyone, sorry my little brainwave was a waste of time but it did seem like it might work. as the school teacher said "Keith should try harder."

Don't be so hard on yourself Keith.:) Whenever repairs or connections are involved with electronic wiring...using shrink wrap tubing is always a great idea (better than electrical tape). This is sort of a special case which kind of makes using shrink wrap difficult.

If we were actually snipping/cutting the charging cable wire...removing the damaged section...and reconnecting things...shrink wrap tubing would 100% be the way to go!:) But I would definitely not recommend cutting the wire...it's a complex cable...sort of difficult to splice back together.

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
Looking on line, there is heat shrink tubing available now with a shrink ratio of up to 6:1

That has to be enough for the MagSafe "L" style connector

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
I do believe there is a tool called a Grommet Stretcher on the market - maybe just maybe it might do the job. There are three or four prongs over which a short length of heat shrink tubing could be threaded then stretched just enough to allow fitting onto the charger cable. Maybe another completely daft idea from yours truly!

Best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do believe there is a tool called a Grommet Stretcher on the market - maybe just maybe it might do the job.

Actually Keith, if one had free $$$ access to a Grommet Stretcher it would probably help getting the small size shrink tubing over the end connector and work quite well:
Grommet Stretcher – Bogert Aviation

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The grommet stretcher idea could be a solution.:) But if the grommet stretcher linked is indicative of the average price of one of these tools ($36)...someone would probably be better off purchasing a good used Apple charger via eBay. I've purchased a handful over the years for $30 or less.

In my mind...if a repair like this costs more than $5-$10 (for a really awesome repair)...then probably better off purchasing a good used charger. The electrical tape repair is probably $.25 cents or less.:)

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
I doubt that a grommet stretcher would actually work.

Grommets are made of a material that does stretch a fair amount, but when I tried to stretch the 2:1 shrink tubing, I could not stretch it very much at all - that material is not stretchable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The grommet stretcher idea could be a solution. But if the grommet stretcher linked is indicative of the average price of one of these tools ($36)...someone would probably be better off purchasing a good used Apple charger via eBay.

Quite true Nick, and the reason I said, and just to emphasise the critical part — "IF one had FREE $$$ ACCESS to a Grommet Stretcher"... ;-)

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quite true Nick, and the reason I said, and just to emphasise the critical part — "IF one had FREE $$$ ACCESS to a Grommet Stretcher"... ;-)

FREE...is always a game-changer!;)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There may be the occasional defective cable connection but I would suggest 95% of cable failure is caused by damage inflicted by the user. I have never had a cable fray or become disconnected on any device I've ever used.

I never wind cables up tightly, that's one hint and I don't ever allow them to bear any load, ie, don't leave the charger body suspended by the cord.

I have a backpack which I pack my MBPr and accessories into for travel. When I pack my power cable and charger I form it into a loop about 12" in diameter with the charger body in the centre then slip it into one of the bag compartment divisions. That way it doesn't end up looking like an old fashioned telephone handset cable.

I recently saw a You Tube clip demonstrating how you could wind the power cord around the charger body one way then wind the thinner computer cable the other way (at a right angle) around the charger and power cable making the whole thing into a tight ball shape. My first thought was, well, that cable's not going to last too long.

Still that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recently saw a You Tube clip demonstrating how you could wind the power cord around the charger body one way then wind the thinner computer cable the other way (at a right angle) around the charger and power cable making the whole thing into a tight ball shape. My first thought was, well, that cable's not going to last too long.

Still that's just me.

Well, you can sure add me to that list and add that U-Tube video producer to the Incompetent Idiots list and maybe add it to some "Misinformation List" as well!!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.