Put JPGs into 'Photos' or leave them on the HD?

Reaction score
I recently scanned some old photos that are currently sitting as JPGs in folders on the desktop of my MPB (10.13.6). These individual scans take up between 50kb and 300kb of space each. Would I be saving space if I transferred them to 'Photos'? Or would it be just the same to leave them in folders on the HD?
Are there any other considerations?
Thanks in advance for comments.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No space savings, but I like having my images in Photos so I can sort, arrange, search and edit. I think all that can be done leaving the images on the drive out of Photos, just referring to them, so it's really entirely up to you. If you decide to copy the images into Photos, once you know they are there you should delete the separate files and folders because you don't need two copies taking up drive space. Just make sure you have a backup of the database in Photos so that if something happens you have all your pictures safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Hi Mike,

First things first: You can keep your images anywhere you choose - they're just files - but "Photos" is as good a place as any to put them ...because it's conveniently called "Photos", and certain image-related apps, like Preview, will automatically try looking in there first.

Now to the issue of storage space: Unless you've got a separate/external storage drive, then regardless of whether you keep them on the desktop or in a folder elsewhere on your system, they'll be taking up the same amount of space on the System Drive. However, it's good practice NOT to store files and folders on your desktop, because the operating system actually uses up some RAM just keeping them "alive" there. Far better to shuffle them off to a folder somewhere where they can sleep until you go visit them.

If you put a folder of images in "Photos" (or somewhere else), but you still want easy access to it from the desktop, you can create an alias for it and then drag that alias to the desktop (aliases use up hardly any RAM, cos they're just tiny links).

Hope that helps,
Ken :)

NOTE: MacInWin and I have cross-posted a bit here.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
I recently received an image in .HEIC format which I never heard of before and El Capitan couldn't open it.
It was sent from a 2017 MBp running the latest macOS.
I converted it eventually to jpg via some web converter so that preview would open it.

The reason I mention it is because the file size of that image in HEIC format was significantly smaller than .jpg equivalent, so if the OP is trying to save some space storing the images, using that format may be a consideration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can decide where the Photos database is by opening Photos Preferences and on the General tab see where the db is now. Use Finder to go there and copy the database to where you want it to be (External drives are nice, if you are willing to carry the drive with you all the time.) Now restart Photos, but hold down the Option key as it starts, then change the database location to the new place. Now Photos will put all images into that new location. Once you know it's working, you can then delete the original, retrieving your internal drive space. As always, backup before making drastic changes like that, just in case.

One other advantage of having the images in Photos is that Photos can sync from all devices that share an AppleID and sufficient iCloud storage, so if you want all of the images synced, storing in Photos database is the way to go.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The reason I mention it is because the file size of that image in HEIC format was significantly smaller than .jpg equivalent, so if the OP is trying to save some space storing the images, using that format may be a consideration.

You are absolutely right, krs.

For those interested or unaware of the difference - firstly taking photos:

On iDevice, Settings > Camera > Formats > choose High Efficiency (reduces file size. Uses HEIF format for photos and HEVC for videos) or Most Compatible (jpeg for photos and H.264 for videos and file size larger)

For exporting photos:

On an iDevice, Settings > Photos > "TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC" - you have two choices - "Keep Originals" (ie in the format they were taken) or "Automatic" (transfers photos and videos in a compatible format - jpeg & its video equivalent)

On your Mac: Photos > File > Export > Export (number) photos >then click on the Photo Kind pop-up menu and choose format.

Just for info. HTH:)

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Very many thanks for the helpful replies - all duly noted.
Regarding the desktop ... this is just a temporary measure.
I park everything there till I get a moment to file things away nicely.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.