Purchased a Power Mac G4 Graphite AGP Model to Refurb with my son - Looking for Suggestions

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
So I know I can get a DVI to ADC adapter. Would you know if that would be able to power the Studio display if i swap back the DVI Card into the system? My guess is yes?
This is more complicated than you may think. Lol

There are actually two different types of ADC adapters:

1. 1st ADC to DVI adapter is just this simple ADC to DVI port adapter:

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 4.01.03 PM.png
This adapter plugs into the video card ADC port...and allows the use of a display with a DVI port via DVI video cable). This adapter only passes along the video signal...does not provide power to the display.

These can be rare...and sometimes super expensive. I have at least 2 of these.

2. The 2nd DVI to ADC adapter is this one:

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 4.08.37 PM.png

I have 2 of these.

The brick in the photo is actually larger than it looks (it's actually about 5" x 5" x 1.5" thick)...much larger than the white power supply bricks you may have seen with MacBooks/MacBook Pro's/MacBook Air's.

There's an ADC port on the brick that the Apple display's ADC cable plugs into...then the connector on the end of the cable is DVI...and plugs into a DVI port on a video card with a DVI port.

This adapter does supply power to the Apple ADC display & the video signal (which of course is very important due to the single cable the Apple ADC display has).

These adapters originally sold for $150 bucks back in 2002 when they were originally released. Since then...the price has gone up & down (I've had various reasons over the years to price them now & then).
As they got more rare & as there was still demand for them (years ago)...their price remained high.

But demand for them must be going down...since when I checked eBay today...there seems to be a bunch selling for $50 or less.:)

HTH,

Nick

OP
Z

zincmann

Reaction score
This is more complicated than you may think. Lol

There are actually two different types of ADC adapters:

1. 1st ADC to DVI adapter is just this simple ADC to DVI port adapter:

View attachment 37346
This adapter plugs into the video card ADC port...and allows the use of a display with a DVI port via DVI video cable). This adapter only passes along the video signal...does not provide power to the display.

These can be rare...and sometimes super expensive. I have at least 2 of these.

2. The 2nd DVI to ADC adapter is this one:

View attachment 37347

I have 2 of these.

The brick in the photo is actually larger than it looks (it's actually about 5" x 5" x 1.5" thick)...much larger than the white power supply bricks you may have seen with MacBooks/MacBook Pro's/MacBook Air's.

There's an ADC port on the brick that the Apple display's ADC cable plugs into...then the connector on the end of the cable is DVI...and plugs into a DVI port on a video card with a DVI port.

This adapter does supply power to the Apple ADC display & the video signal (which of course is very important due to the single cable the Apple ADC display has).

These adapters originally sold for $150 bucks back in 2002 when they were originally released. Since then...the price has gone up & down (I've had various reasons over the years to price them now & then).
As they got more rare & as there was still demand for them (years ago)...their price remained high.

But demand for them must be going down...since when I checked eBay today...there seems to be a bunch selling for $50 or less.:)

HTH,

Nick
Yes I have a line on the second one which supplies power as the first is just a pass through. So now I will wait and see again LOL I do enjoy the whole learning as I "experiment" so to speak. Ill keep you posted when I get the adapter and see if the screen works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.