Purchase Help: 17" MBP Reliability?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I'm seriously considering a new 17" MacBook Pro.

The configuration I'm considering is: 2.8 / 4GB / 500 @ 7200 / antiglare

Is this particular model reliable and free from any major bugs, or problems?

I know it's been out for several months, is it a good choice?

Does it run cool, or is heating an issue?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your feedback!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
I often hear that the anti-glare screen is actually something that will dull the vibrant color displays on your MBP. I cannot say this for a fact however. There is a thread debating the screens here. Other than this, I cannot help you as I do not personally own that model! Hope someone comes along soon enough to answer any of your questions! Maybe try doing a few quick searches on the web as well, if you have the time to do so, as you may find a few more answers!

Good luck on purchasing your MBP!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I often hear that the anti-glare screen is actually something that will dull the vibrant color displays on your MBP. I cannot say this for a fact however. There is a thread debating the screens here. Other than this, I cannot help you as I do not personally own that model! Hope someone comes along soon enough to answer any of your questions! Maybe try doing a few quick searches on the web as well, if you have the time to do so, as you may find a few more answers!

Good luck on purchasing your MBP!
Thanks for your prompt response.

I've done some research via google, and found just a few complaints about heating and the graphics issues. Apparently Apple will replace the dedicated card for a period of three years even if out of warranty. I am a bit hesitant to think that my new MBP would have to be taken apart to replace a known problem component. However, what I do not know, is if this affects the models in a certain range of build dates or what. Other than that, I'm ready to buy. If I was not spending 3K for this computer it would be different as I would be willing to risk more, but at that price point I would hope to receive the premium quality that Apple projects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
The gloss vs. matte thing has been around since they started making photographic prints. Glossy looks sharper and more vibrant, but if you're outdoors or in a really bright place, you will get more reflections. Matte is better in these situations.

I don't know about the 17" otherwise. I'm very happy with my 13"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no extended warranty on that machine without Applecare. The extended warranty was in relation to specific nVidia graphics chips that were installed in '07, not on every nVidia card in every Mac since.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, keep in mind when you're looking at anecdotes from users, that people are far more vocal when they're having problems, then when they are perfectly content.

For the most part, Apple owns customer satisfaction and quality ratings across the board, and that's for good reason - they are some of the most reliable machines in the industry and they generally do right by their customers.

Also, as bobtomay pointed out, there have been 5 different major revisions of the 17" MacBook Pro model. The 2007-early 2008 models had a bug with some NVIDIA chips. I happen to have one of the effected models and have not had the issue, even with intense use.

In general, the MacBook Pro is a solid machine. I wouldn't sweat it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
wirelessmacuser

i bought the same model but with a 3.06 cpu and glossy screen back in October and its been running smooth. i have it running FCP Motion 4 and the rest and it works fine (except the issue of motion 4 closing unexpected but as long as i've saved then no worries) all other programs work fine no unexpected closing nothing. regarding the anti glare and the glossy - glossy is best for video, movies and photo editing as like above its move shape and colour stands out, if your using the mac generaly with work and will be outside with it the get the anti glare.... to be honest i dont notice reflextions from the screen at all even when im outside...ok if i get some reflextion i just move the screen and no worries.

and regarding the heat issue, yeah the Mac gets hot but i havent had any lose parts due to it and the machine has been running for hours on Motion 4. if you think it will be an issue work near a window or purchase a fan or one of the stands that generates the heat away from the mac

hope this helps :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.