purchase advice MacBook Pro 2015 15" 2.8 GHz vs 2018 15" 2.2 GHz

Reaction score
Good evening,

I recently bought a refurbished Macbook Pro 2015 15" 2.8 GHz 256 GB. Now I found out that this Macbook Pro has a failure on its mainboard which leads to problems with its graphic unit and the USB ports. The shop where I bought it gave me the choice to replace the Macbook Pro 2015 for the identical model or to choose a 2018 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz in a used look but technically perfect for some more money.
I searched for advice which Macbook to choose on google where I found a lot of criticism still on the 2018 keyboard. I don't know anyone who owns a 2018 Macbook, so I can only conclude from the rumors that the prabability that a failure occurs on the keyboard is pretty high.
I am a student working a lot with coding e.g. with MATLAB/Simulink where I run a lot of dynamic models. Also, I work a lot on optimization which comes along with very long calculations with high processor load.
Now I wanted to ask for your advice. Would you rather choose the 2015 model again or would you upgrade to the newer 2018 model?
I'd be very interested especially on your own experience with the 2018 model according to the rumors that already very small particles can cause problems with the keyboard. Also if the heat development of the CPU and GPU can cause problems with the keyboard as well.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Best regards

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I had the 2017 MBP 13". I kept the keyboard covered to prevent the dust under the keys issue. I never had any problems with it. The 2018 was supposed to have a membrane installed that was supposed to keep the dust out and prevent the issue.

If the shop offers a warranty of at least a year I would go with the 2018 and put a clear cover on the keyboard. It is not ideal but you could also use an external keyboard with it. Also it should have better performance.

I just bought the 2020 MBP 13" to get the new keyboard and I will say it is much nicer than the one on my 2017. The feel is sooo much better.

It might also be good to check out the apple refurbished store. That will give you a price comparison and they do come with one year of AppleCare.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would avoid both the 2015 and 2018 for different reasons. Good advice from Lisa regarding the Apple refurbished store. Some 2019 16" MacBook Pro models have appeared in the refurb store. Or you might want to spend the money on a new 13" 2020 model.

Also keep in mind that Apple is switching its architecture from Intel to ARM with the first models appearing in 2021. Do some reading on that and then make an informed decision on what to buy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.