PSU OK but won't charge...

Reaction score
My daughter’s had her MacBook (the white one) for 3 years now, and in that time it's gone through 4 chargers. Two were non genuine and just blew up, so last time I got a genuine one. It’s worked for probably nearly a year – then the green light went out.

However… I've just discovered it's not the charger this time (it charges another MacBook fine), so I assume a regulator or something on the motherboard has blown :'(

Is this a known issue? Am I right in thinking that I’m going to have to replace the !:mad:£($!! motherboard?

Thanks…

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be a bad DC input board which is considerably less expensive than the Logic board to replace. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual with your model number on hand and look up the procedure for changing one out yourself. They may also have the DC board in stock.

OP
H
Reaction score
It could be a bad DC input board which is considerably less expensive than the Logic board to replace. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual with your model number on hand and look up the procedure for changing one out yourself. They may also have the DC board in stock.

Thanks, what a wonderful site :)

Is that what they refer to as the Magsafe Board?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is that what they refer to as the Magsafe Board?

Yes. Although most of the old timers (like me) refer to it as the DC input board.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes. Although most of the old timers (like me) refer to it as the DC input board.

Thanks – as an old timer myself, that’s what it’ll be! Mice… cah. New fangled nonsense.

I’ll get one and give it a go – I have stripped many laptops in my time, but never a MacBook… it all looks a bit delicate, especially the little screws, but hey… I’ll post the results here.

Thanks very much for your help.

OP
H
Reaction score
Voltages?

OK… I've removed the little DC board. Now, having been redundant for some months now, I’m keen to avoid spending money if I can avoid it, so I’m wondering if I can tell if the board is faulty?

When a known good charger is plugged in to the removed board, the Magsafe light doesn't come on, either green or orange. Is that enough to say that the little board is dead?

With difficulty, I’m measuring the voltage on the board’s output socket. I haven't tested the voltage across every pin connection yet, as it's difficult to avoid shorting the meter's probes, but there’s 5V on at least some of them.

Can anybody tell me what the voltage should be across all pins?

Thanks again for all your help…

* UPDATE *

OK – I’ve managed to measure the voltages. Looking down on the connector which goes to the motherboard, with the wires running AWAY from me, and numbering the pins 1-5 from left to right, the evoltages acorss the pins are:

Pin pair / voltage

1 – 2 = 0V
1 – 3 = 7V
1 – 4 = 7V
1 – 5 = 0V

2 – 3 = 7V
2 – 4 = 7V
2 – 5 = 0.5V

3 – 4 = 0V
3 – 5 = 0.5V

4 – 5 = 0.6V

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you SO MUCH for this - I replaced the little Magsafe board, and the machine's OK again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.