.pst file converted to Logic Prom- how to change back?

alicycling

Reaction score
I have no idea how this happened, but all my old exported outlook files (email messages, etc.) has been converted into a Logic Pro format by my Mac. It was a .pst files but it's now a 'Logic Pro Audio Plug-in Setting proprietary format'. I was trying to import them into my new home outlook account when I noticed the issue. There's almost six years of work there (c. 7GB), and to say I'm concerned is an understatement.

I've tried various ways to convert it back, but without any success.

Can anyone advise/ help?

Huge thanks if you can.

Alistair

*Obvs title should be Logic Pro... sorry for the typo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Have they been converted, or just the three letter suffix changed , without actually converting them. Make a cope of one of the files, change the suffix to *.PST and see if it open in outlook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If the suffix (extent is the actual term), is still .pst, then what has happened is that Finder now associates .pst files with the Logic Pro app. If you want to set it back, find one of the files, right-click on it and Get Info. Click the lock in the bottom right to allow changes, then change what is in the "Open with" section to what you want. Be aware, that if you then click on "Change All" it WILL change all to be the same, but that could include files ending in .pst that are the Logic Pro files, perhaps leading to issues with them later on.

OP
A

alicycling

Reaction score
This is how the file appears in my folder. I assume the 'extent' is listed under the Kind heading on the folder? I've also looked at Get Info as a right click option and it still reads as the 'Logic Pro... format' Does that help any more?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 20.31.48.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 20.31.48.png
    4 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
This is how the file appears in my folder. I assume the 'extent' is listed under the Kind heading on the folder? I've also looked at Get Info as a right click option and it still reads as the 'Logic Pro... format' Does that help any more?
It helps. As for your question, the answer is basically no. The "extent" (and what JimmySB called the "suffix" is the "pst" in the name. What Finder does is associate an extent with an app by default, but you can assign a different app if you want, as I told you how to do. My warning was that if you have multiple files ending in ".pst" and want to have ALL of them the same, you have to be careful because if you double click on a file with ".pst" as the extent it will open with the default app. That may be OK if you want Outlook and double click an Outlook pst file, but can cause problems if you want to open a Logic Pro file and double click but it opens in Outlook. Or the opposite, you want to open a pst in Outlook, but it's set, as your image shows, for Logic Pro. But you can override the system default "Open with" setting per file, so it's up to you whether you want the default to be Outlook or Logic Pro.

The "Kind' is Finder's attempt to show the current default for that file. It's mostly accurate, but it can get lost sometimes.

OP
A

alicycling

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I don't have any ProLogic files so it's all .pst. Fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
If you have outlook *.PST files, there is a good chance you have moved from Windows based (as I have); though I cannot remember the file type this would occasionality happen on windows where two programme producers would use the same extension, though the actual content did not change.
The normal route was to default to the programme you used most, and then use "open with" for the other programme type, very much as @MacInWin has alluded to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.