Protecting Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 500GB 4GB RAM
I broke down and installed Parallels 3.0 and Windows XP. I do need MS Access, MS Publisher, MS Money, and IE for my work.

I was going to do all that on my Windows notebook but running everthing from my iMac is so much easier. Parallels installed so easily and works great.

My question is do I need all the protection I run on my PCs? I use Norton Internet. Or do I just need anti-virus? This issue is the reason I was hesitating putting Windows on my iMac.

Thanks for all the input I have received from members of this forum.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
You know....
That's a really good question. I would imagine you would need an anti-virus and stuff since you're pretty much making it a typical PC. My gut instinct would say yes you need an anti-virus program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
In a virtual machine running windows you need anti-virus else your virtual machine and only your virtual machine will become infected.
You mac side will not be infected.
However, when running virtual machines you can take snapshots and then use them as a back-up.
I personally wouldn't use the internet on the windows virtual machine.
There are ways of fooling most web pages that safari or firefox is ie7
by changing the user agent via menu option or add-on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
You need to protect the windows part as if you were running a real pc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Just keep away from sites that have viruses on them (IE Pr0n, etc), that's the easiest solution. I haven't used an AV on my home Windows machine in years and have never had a virus, spyware yes, virus no. There are plenty of freeware Spyware removal tools out there.

OP
iMACGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 500GB 4GB RAM
I finally decided to install AVG anti-virus, which comes with a free version for home use. It includes spy-ware and has auto-update. I'm sticking with Windos XP firewall. I've been experiencing at least six viruses a year in my years of experience with Windows XP. Fortunately, Norton anti-virus caught them.

Thanks for your replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.