• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

pros/cons of a DLP TV?

Reaction score
we're trying to decide between an LCD or DLP set with either 1080i or 1080p. we haven't narrowed our scope on particular models yet, just the technology.

the depth of the DLP units doesn't bother me, we have plenty of room. the idea of a user-replaceable chip is a nice addition.

it seems if you go with DLP, you get more screen for the money. but is it as sharp as LCD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
My folks have a DLP tv. Be sure to check out how loud the fans are on the model you are looking at. Theirs is so lound it would be unacceptible to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
we have a toshiba DLP 52" and we love it. I'm still amazed at the sharpness of the picture when watching an HD channel. The only time we hear the fan is after we shut it off - but it's not really noticeable. We purchased an extended warranty that covers the bulb, so it was worth the money.

We also have a 36" LCD - that also has a great picture.

You really do have to see them in person - and consider the fact that some manufacturers will specialize in one over the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1.8GHz Intel Duo, 1.25GB RAM, CD-RW/DVD, 13" LCD, hideously scratched case!
The only DLP I have seen was a projector and it was hideous to look at. If you moved your eyes quickly the image would separate briefly into red, green and blue. It wasn't a cheap unit either! Made it really hard for me to watch a film on it (or play games hehe).

That said the image was really sharp and bright compared to the LCD projector I own, and there was no "chicken wire" effect either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Bulb life will be your main concern. If they're anything like normal projectors the bulbs last between 2000 and 4000 hours. Once they go they're about £250 UKP or more for the part.

I would hold off buying anything too expensive, LCD will be a reliable cheap way to go for now. Projection TVs are very bulky and LCD TV's can be hung on the wall and can also be used as a monitor.

There are many technologies being developed such as OLED and these will be much better than anything else on the market. So your new set may only get about 3-5 years use before something better appears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
The only DLP I have seen was a projector and it was hideous to look at. If you moved your eyes quickly the image would separate briefly into red, green and blue. It wasn't a cheap unit either! Made it really hard for me to watch a film on it (or play games hehe).

That said the image was really sharp and bright compared to the LCD projector I own, and there was no "chicken wire" effect either.

The rainbow effect is noticable by many people on low end DLPs (I have one myself). The more expensive units use a much faster colour wheel or use 3 seperate DLP chips (these don't suffer the rainbow effect).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.