Project: G4 Ibook resurrection Mini studio

Reaction score
So let me explain honestly why.

So i did a lot of research from several videos including this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ha7-P-1YY

The reason for watching this video was to choose the right ibook for this mod and this gentleman reported how to fix the issues with the 1.4 Ghz model especially the crashing issue.

Awesome so i choose the cheapest in my purchase.

I purchased a G4 Ibook.

System specs:

G4 ibook 1.33 Ghz
512 megs of ram
40 gig hard drive
with 10.4.11

Cool for my project needs this is going to work perfectly.

My project:

I want to turn this machine into a Mini Studio for photography use.

What have a purchased.

1. A Legal copy of Adobe Photoshop CS2 Creative Suite for mac.

2. A copy of Mac os x Tiger restore disk's for the ibook g4 matching for this model.

3. A copy of mac os x leopard Retail disk.

4. A 64 GiG SSD PETA No adapter Required. Don't Need a lot of space have a compatible external hard drive as well.

Basically i enjoyed using CS And CS2 for my photography and was trained on those programs so i decided i wanted that back to do some old school photos that new age software can't produce.

I honestly don't need the wifi card which will be removed as recommended in the above video i will instead use a usb wifi adapter that is mac compatible.

So honestly will this work for this idea??

or should have i gone with a macbook white core 2 duo

Remember this machine is not going to be online for any web surfing or e-mail

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know John. Seems though that you have quite a bit of $$ tied up in this project. But if it works out for you and your photo studio work, then it might be worth the effort. Keep us posted. And yes, the G4 iBook should be fine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Awesome i will keep everyone posted.

I am also glad to report the SSD i ordered will be arriving tomorrow i forgot how close amazon is to me in washington state.

OP
J
Reaction score
I only have 200.00 in the whole thing.

This is why i choose this model because the macbook white was 300.00 plus shipping and handling and i would still have to get a battery and a larger hard drive and o.s install disks over 500.00 for a macbook that old doesn't seem to wise.

OP
J
Reaction score
I totally lost it today...

My SSD Showed up on the back of the box it says the following.

This box contains "Zheino" SSD for using in laptop, Desktop, Table PC, Mobile pc, POS machine, advertising machine, Medical device and ATM machine, etc.

I was laughing because you need to understand we here in the u.s use the p.o.s to spell come thing completely different they mean point of sale machine or so i am hoping.

OP
J
Reaction score
my other package arrived today i was so happy my system disks arrived i ordered the original 10.3.2 disks and not for the reason you would think i ordered the originals to gain the original software installed from factory i will then be upgrading to tiger from that to keep a set of games that originally came with panther.

Heres a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydSIax8o5-M&list=UUNtuuKfv6BAJdSNMhKhKUHw

OP
J
Reaction score
Another set back Fed Ex is dragging there feet they told me it would be here at 10:30 then at 2:00 now at 4:00 lazy morons

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.