Problems with SSH:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2
Ok, so here's my problem. I recently got a MacBook Pro and my wife has a PC. I downloaded Cyberduck in order to do some basic file transferring. I've been able to connect to my iPod with no problem, but when I try to connect to her computer, I either get a message that says that the connection was refused or that the connection has timed out. She can access my Mac with no problem using WinSCP, but I have yet to connect to her PC once. Is there anything that I need to do or that she has to do in order to allow the connection? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Does she have any firewalls etc that could be blocking SSH?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
She needs to be sharing something.

You can use the "Connect to Server" option in the Finder using smb://ipaddress/sharename of her PC.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She does have her Firewall on, but I've already added filesharing to the exceptions. I've even tried to make a new exception especially for Port 22, but still no luck. I'm shocked though, like I said, she can connect to mine with no problems, but I can't do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no native SSH on Windows.
Unless you have a third party SSH service running like putty there will be no SSH on her PC.

Use SMB not SSH.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I just tried that...her computer does come up in my browser, but when I try to connect to it, it just says that the connection failed too. WinSCP doesn't act as a SSH daemon and listens for requests?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WinSCP is just an SSH client.

Usually when connecting to Windows via the Shared computer section in the Finder you get funkyness.

Use smb://heripaddress from the Go Menu > Connect to Server option. IP addresses are absolute and should provide a better result. PC names require name resolution and Macs use Bonjour to discover whereas PCs use NetBIOS.

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks so much. I'll try to connect to her PC when I get home. Right now I'm in class so I can't. I'll get back to you and let you know what happens. I'll also try freeSShd and see if that works. I never knew that Windows was so anti-SSH. It's annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Also check out PuTTY. I use this the most, its pretty light and will help with your SSH on windows issue. Cheers

OP
Hexen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will do! It's sad how much you have to do just to connect to a PC. I was planning to use SSH with my brother to trade our cds without having to take them with me in person, but after going through all of this with my wife's computer, I don't think he'll want to. Is PuTTY have a GUI?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Will do! It's sad how much you have to do just to connect to a PC. I was planning to use SSH with my brother to trade our cds without having to take them with me in person, but after going through all of this with my wife's computer, I don't think he'll want to. Is PuTTY have a GUI?

It has a gui more so for configuring your putty/connections, but ssh itself is all command line. I should also say that PuTTY does not install SSH on your local machine it just allows SSH connections to remote. If you are looking for ssh on a windows machine I would stick with freeSSHd like Hexen recommended. It's a bit easier to use and setup than cygwin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.