Problems with networking printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
So today I broke down and bought a new printer, along with an airport extreme base station so I can connect the printer to the usb port - no need for a print server, etc....

I came home from work early to set it up - figured I'd tackle the router first, then hook up and install the printer, and I'd have it all done before dinner. RIGHT.

I unhooked my linksys router, plugged in the airport according to the instructions, and was online with no problem. The problem started when I went to the airport setup utility to configure things. Now I cannot connect to the internet at all - I have full strength from all machines, they can connect to the apple network, but none can connect to the internet. The light flashes orange - because it is not detecting an internet connection. I've reset the airport, reset the router, etc. I'm now connected via LAN cable directly from the cable modem to my PC. I can't get internet any other way.

I've searched forums, apple's website, etc. I set security as being disabled to start, and never got past that point - so security is not the problem. I've checked firewalls, ip addresses, dhcp settings, etc.

I have cable internet connected through a modem. I do not have a fixed or assigned IP address.

This entire process is incredibly frustrating - and when it seems like I've found a solution things just get worse.

I haven't even unpacked the printer yet...what a waste of time.

Help anyone?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have the Cable Modem plugged into the AE? Nothing else in between? If so it's got to be a setting somewhere in the AE OR what Cable provider you using? Some go by the MAC address that every computer, Router ETC has. Since you changed it might be looking for the MAC address the way it was with the Linksys.

EDIT: The AE has no MAC Clone option so IF that is the cause you have to call your ISP. This is part of a review on the AE I just found. Do try what Reel1 suggested first though before you panic.

"Another possible problem with the AE was the inability to change its MAC address, which means people with ISPs that lock on to a particular MAC address will have to call up their provider."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Lisa you may want to try this.

Disconnect your modem from the power
Discinnect you base station from the power as well.

Wait for 5 mins plug in the modem let it cycle through its startup routine then plug the router back in.

If that doesnt work, the only other thing I remember from the manual is to unplug your base station and while holding in the reset button power it back up.

Good luck

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Agreed with Reel1. I'm guessing you never recycled your cable modem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree that not reseting the modem can cause the issue, but I have seen the MAC address problem a lot especially with a lot of cable providers. It depends on the ISP.

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've recycled my router at least 5 times...

I manually set settings for dchp and now I at least have a green light on the airport - but still can't connect to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I've recycled my router at least 5 times...

I manually set settings for dchp and now I at least have a green light on the airport - but still can't connect to the internet.

Did you do what Reel1 suggested, following the steps to reset the cable modem? Resetting the router is fine, but you really need to reset the cable modem as well.

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry - meant to say modem. I've recycled that a bunch of times as well as resetting the airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa try letting the router pickup the connection automatically by selecting just dhcp.

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep - done that.

(see the title of this thread was changed - sorry mods, that's all I could get out of my head at the time of writing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Lisa, so is this just a printing issue now?

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no - I haven't even gotten to printing yet. It's a airport extreme/connection issue

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I asked you what your ISP was a few posts back. I asked for a reason.

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My ISP is just a small-town local cable/internet company. The people at the office don't know anything about configurations. They contract with a small remote support company and I wasn't able to get through to them this morning. I'll try again tonight when I get home.

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I spent all day today working on this - I called my isp regarding the mac address question - and the tech support girl didn't even know what a mac address was...insisted it was exclusive only to macs!!

Then I went back on my own for a long time. I finally called apple tech support and spent almost an hour on the phone with them. They were great - the first person I spoke with did a bunch of diagnostics and determined that the airport base station might be defective - but he wanted to be sure he had exhausted all possibilities so he referred me to the next level. That tech determined that because I couldn't even connect directly from the modem to my MBP that it was definitely an isp issue.

Called my isp again and got a different person. She was much more helpful. We went through all the settings and she said that my isp does not require the modem to lock onto a particular host computer's mac address - she couldn't figure it out and was going to refer it to higher up and have them call me monday.

So I decided to hook up my old linksys router again and go back to square one. Didn't work!! So I decided to clone the mac address within the router setup - bingo! Now all my computers connect wirelessly again - just without the Airport Base station -

So I guess my options are to either get rid of the base station or use it as a bridge for my printer...I don't believe I can get "n" speeds with it going through the linksys.

OP
Lisa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the interest of helping anyone who might be following this thread and having a similar problem, I'm going to post my final success!

I kept my Linksys and cloned my mac address from my base dell computer that my modem had attached itself to. I was able to then network all my computers wirelessly. I then attached my airport extreme base station to the linksys and it detected the linksys's settings for internet access - I also attached my printer to the usb port on the airport and installed my printer via the mac. Installed bonjour on the other windows machines and all connect beautifully.

So instead of an extreme I guess I could have bought an express - but I'm not going to pay a restocking fee at this point - it works and it's future-compatible.

My home network:

XP desktop
XP notebook
Vista notebook
MBP :)
PS3
XBox 360
Canon Pixmia 1700 printer

...and they all play happily together now. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this process.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am so glad you got it working but very disturbed by your ISP who does not even know that they are doing the very thing with your MAC address!! If they were a bit smarter I would say call them and have them change it to your AE's address, but I think in this case it's too much to ask them!! :spook:

Glad you are up and running!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.