Problems with my Macbook 13" Aluminum Display

Reaction score
Yesterday the hinge edge of my macbook was lifted and fell about 4 inches on a table. The display immediately got dark, not fully black, but the darkness of a regular screen on one bar of brightness even though the brightness was at its highest. I restarted my computer and it came up fine, but at the bottom left of the screen there are ripples of darker area, kind of like lumps. This morning when I opened up my computer, there were pink "reflection" lines half a centimeter away from all the lines on my computer like seeing a 3D movie without glasses. The pink lines went away after about 20 minutes, but the dark ripples are still there.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I really would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

C

chas_m

I'm not sure what you want us to suggest -- this is obviously something that a technician will have to fix. If you need a second opinion that you should take it in for repair, here it is. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
There are 3 possible causes... Your display itself, your logic board GPU chip, or you jarred loose a ribbon cable... Is your macbook under warranty?

Also, try an external display... This will let you know if its the LCD/Ribbon Cable or the Logic. Either way, a trip to a genius I see in your future.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sadly the warranty on my macbook ended a couple months ago, so I guess I'll have to pay. How much would repairing it cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
Depends on the cause. I would definitely first try an external display. Apples fix all "go to" is the logic board replacement. This will at least give you some more info, for yourself and apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is almost certainly a damaged display. However, to be sure do as recommended and try an external display. If it turns out to be the MacBook display, you can change it out yourself - since your machine is no longer in warranty. Wouldn't matter anyway if it was in warranty since Apple does not warrant accidental drops or spills.

For instructions on how to change out a display and for prices go to:

iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.