problems with my lcd display

S

sixandout

sometimes for no reason at all it completely blanks out, and stays off. the computer is on, and makes all of the normal sounds, such as playing itunes songs. when i connect an external monitor everything on the external monitor works correctly, but the ibooks lcd doesn't show anything. any ideas? it's a 1ghz g4 ibook. airport extreme, bluetooth, all orginial stuff. weird thing is that i haven;t installed any new software on it, and it stops during different programs. restarting it, or powering off don't seem to matter. when it does retunr it does whenever it wants. maybe i should call my ibook christine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sixandout said:
sometimes for no reason at all it completely blanks out, and stays off. the computer is on, and makes all of the normal sounds, such as playing itunes songs. when i connect an external monitor everything on the external monitor works correctly, but the ibooks lcd doesn't show anything. any ideas? it's a 1ghz g4 ibook. airport extreme, bluetooth, all orginial stuff. weird thing is that i haven;t installed any new software on it, and it stops during different programs. restarting it, or powering off don't seem to matter. when it does retunr it does whenever it wants. maybe i should call my ibook christine.

Check your "Energy Saver" settings under System Preferences". Do you have it set to put the display to sleep after a certain timeframe?

OP
S

sixandout

i tried that, i set it to never. the problem is the display when it goes out, doesn't turnback on after i restart or shurdown, and then restart. sometimes before it dissappears it will flicker, flashes off and on a few times then it goes out. it also does the same thing when it turns on. usually i have to turn it on and off afew times to get it to work again. i don't think it is turning off due to heat because it'll work for days on end as i play warcraft 3. then when i check my email it goes bye bye :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Try resetting the PMU. If the computer is on, turn it off.
Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to restart.

You may want to try starting up from a CD. If you immediately see video when started up from disc, you may have corrupted system software. You can use the Archive and Install feature of the Mac OS X installer to reinstall. This kind of installation gives you a fresh version of Mac OS X, but you don't lose any data from the computer as your old information is all archived.

If neither of those help, you may want to give Apple a call to send it in for service.

OP
S

sixandout

man i think i'm screwed, i tried both of those options yesterday. i have the older installation on the harddrive, and am running the newest installation of osx then i let it auto update itself. weird thing is while the external monitor is plugged in the lcd almost seems to work for a few seconds then it goes away again.

OP
S

sixandout

i think my ibook was made in the beginning of 2004, sounds like the problem i am having. my serial number is after the ones they have listed though. i really thing my first apple is turning into a lemon :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
sixandout said:
i think my ibook was made in the beginning of 2004, sounds like the problem i am having. my serial number is after the ones they have listed though. i really thing my first apple is turning into a lemon :(
If you have a 1Ghz it was early 2004. This would not be a logic board issue, more like an inverter board issue. When did you buy it? It may still be under the 1 year warranty if you did not purchase APP for it. On the Apple Support Page there is a box on the right hand side where you can enter your serial#. After you enter it, it will tell you exactly how many days are left in your warranty period if any.
If it is still under warranty, you should be able to get this repaired at no cost. If it is still under warranty, call Apple Support (1-800-275-2273) and see if they can send you out a dispatch to have it sent in for service.

OP
S

sixandout

cool it's still under warranty, said i can still buy applecare for it. you guys are the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.