PROBLEMS White Macbook 7,1 Model A1342 running Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 15"
Not sure where to start...
Have a white 13" Macbook 7,1. When I bought it, Snow Leopard was pre-installed, I had since upgraded to Yosemite. I wanted to sell it, but felt it necessary to clear everything off of it before doing so.

3 Days Ago: I Googled how to do it. One site mentioned something about clear the HD and loading the original Macbook OS X Install DVD. I followed the steps, but not sure now what exactly those steps were, since it has been a few days since doing so.

Current day: I load the OS X DVD into the MB, Im asked to choose a language, then Im asked to choose to install MAC OS X Snow Leopard. I agree to Apple terms. Then, Im asked to select the disc where to install the MAC OS X, BUT the icon image of the HD has a yellow triangle over the image and a message stating "MAX OS X cannot start up from this disk." I choose Go Back.

There are options across the top of the screen. Utilities is listed. Im given more options from the drop down menu. Startup Disc, Reset Password, Firmware Password, Disc Utility, Terminal, System Profiler and Network Utility. I choose Startup disc. Im then asked to choose a Start up Disc. I see the MAC OS X Install DVD, when I select it the MB restarts and its the same process all over again.

Can someone please explain a step-by-step on how to install the MAC OS X dvd to get this MB going again.

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
You need to boot from the Snow Leopard DVD, hold down the C key, power on and only let go of C when the boot has started. Once booted, go to the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility. Click on the indented hard drive volume, then erase it. Then quit Disk Utility and continue with the installation.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 15"
Amazing!! techiesteve, thank you so much!! I did exactly as you said and the MB is up and running again.
Only 1 problem, when I tried installing the Applications DVD, I got an unknown error. Any help or advice on how to get around this?

Thank you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 15"
Is there a way to get the original "Applications Install DVD" to work? I load it into the dvd slot and receive an "unknown error" when I click on it.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a way to get the original "Applications Install DVD" to work? I load it into the dvd slot and receive an "unknown error" when I click on it.

Any help would be awesome.

The OS that originally shipped with a MacBook 7,1 was Snow Leopard (10.6.x). Yosemite (the OS currently installed)…is OS 10.10 (four versions newer). If your goal is to install those apps…it's VERY doubtful any of the apps on that "Applications Install DVD" would work with Yosemite (if you could get the Applications DVD to work).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.