Problems starting up

Reaction score
I've been away for 2 weeks so I had to pull the plug out of my mac (leopard). I'm back now but every time when I try to start up I get the message: 'You need to restart your cmputer. Hold down the power button for serveral seconds or press the restart button'. I've tried it serveral times now but I keep getting the same message.

Does anyone know how to start it back up again?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I have exactly the same problem. I had to turn the power off to my imac this morning due to electrical work. Tonight when turning it on I get the apple on a white screen, then the screen turns dark grey with the message about needing to restart the machine. I've done this five times now but always the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
this is called a kernel panic. i apologize for not having very much information about how to solve them. i know if you re-install os x, it will fix it. but you can probably wait if anyone else has any other suggestions or search the forum for "kernel panic".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
definition of a kernal panic:

"hey bob, it's getting kind of hot in h--- OH S*** WE ARE IN A PAN!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Update - I resorted to reinstalling OSX leopard and, fingers crossed, it's back to normal. It's rather worrying though that I do not know what caused the problem and that it might happen again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.