problem with safari, trying to get back to previous page

Reaction score
I upgraded to yosemite and have a problem with safari 8.0.5. when I'm in google news and go a an article I cannot go back, the back arrow is greyed and the cirlcle red x closes down Safari. I used to be able to hit the red x after looking at an article and it would bring me back to the google news homepage.
I have a macbook pro

C

chas_m

The "red x" (which you shouldn't be using anyway) doesn't do that -- unless perhaps you mean your clicking a link for a new story opened up a new WINDOW, in which case closing that window would reveal your original window behind it.

If that's what was happening, then what's happening now is that the default behaviour on the browser when you click a link now takes you to the link in a new TAB (and you're not noticing this), so when you click the red x (which, again, you shouldn't be doing), it closes the entire window and all tabs with it.

If you're getting tabs, then what you want to be doing is closing each TAB as you're done with it rather than the entire Safari Window. Here's a line of tabs on my copy of Safari right now, with my cursor about to close the Mac-Forum tab:

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 11.04.38 PM.png

You can read more about Safari tabs and how to use them here:

https://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/browsers-safari-osx-using-tabs.html

OP
L
Reaction score
I solved problem by going into preference: in Tabs I changed the setting "open pages in tabs" NEVER. I also changed the view to show favorites bar. I can now use the red circle with the x to go back to the homepage. This works perfectly in GOOGLE NEWS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.