Problem with mouse batteries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
For the last 10 years I have used rechargeable batteries in my mouse. Although they need changing more often than ordinary ones they work out cheaper in the long run. Recently I have found that, although they work in my keyboard many of the latest ones fail to form a connection. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or does anyone know why this happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What do you mean by "fail to form a connection?" Does that mean you put the batteries in, but they don't connect to the mouse to power it up? Or do you man the mouse doesn't make connection to the Mac, which may or may not have anything to do with the batteries, but may have to do with a failing mouse, or interference with the signals?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean by "fail to form a connection?" Does that mean you put the batteries in, but they don't connect to the mouse to power it up? Or do you man the mouse doesn't make connection to the Mac, which may or may not have anything to do with the batteries, but may have to do with a failing mouse, or interference with the signals?
I mean that some batteries don't connect to the mouse to power it up? I have just bought 16 Amazon rechargeable batteries but they are not the first to suffer from this problem. Of course I can return them to Amazon and replace them with a brand that does work. Energiser is a brand that I know works but GP Recyko don't and I have some older Annesmann that do but the latest ones don't.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before I got the mouse that charges via lightning cable, I used rechargeable batteries in the previous model and the keyboard. I bit the bullet and bought name-brand batteries (Duracell).

Initially, I got the batteries and charger as a kit for less than the parts, but I kept using them because they just worked. My general rule was to find a brand that works and stick with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+1 for what Sly said. I find off-brand rechargeable batteries just don't work. I still stick with Duracell, or maybe Energizer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Follow Sly's lead and invest in a Magic Mouse 2 recharged via Lightning.

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I got the mouse that charges via lightning cable, I used rechargeable batteries in the previous model and the keyboard. I bit the bullet and bought name-brand batteries (Duracell).

Initially, I got the batteries and charger as a kit for less than the parts, but I kept using them because they just worked. My general rule was to find a brand that works and stick with it.
Yes I have use Duracell as well and they also work but I will look into Magic Mouse. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can test whether it's the mouse or the batteries by putting a set of non-rechargeable batteries in. If the mouse works, it's the batteries. If it doesn't, it's either the mouse or the environment.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Follow Sly's lead and invest in a Magic Mouse recharged via Lightning.
I thought what I have is a 'Magic Mouse' so how do I know which one is rechargeable with a lightning lead (V 1, 2 or 3)?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Follow Sly's lead and invest in a Magic Mouse 2 recharged via Lightning.

Or what about using a Logitech wireless mouse like my M705, and it's two AA batteries last over three years.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I have found that often, in order for my Magic mouse to recognise it has new/replacement batteries, I have to reboot.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have found that often, in order for my Magic mouse to recognise it has new/replacement batteries, I have to reboot.
Interesting. I don't remember ever having that problem. I haven't used that version of the mouse in several years though so my memory could be faulty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You shouldn't need to do that. Have you tried turning the switch on the mouse off, then back on after you put the new batteries in?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was my experience with that mouse.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks for the suggestion to upgrade to a rechargeable mouse. I have bought 2, one for me and one for my wife. I have made the mistake of removing the old mice without renaming them. I don't seem to be able to reconnect them now that the new mice have been connected. It's not a ig deal but I would prefer to pass them on without our names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think the names are embedded in the mouses. The name is just a familiar way to refer to them on your Mac instead of seeing them as their bluetooth identifier numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc
I frequently have problems when I put new /recharged batteries into my Magic Mouse. I go to Bluetooth Prefs, delete my mouse and it always come back quickly to pair and reconnect. Works every time for me.

Reaction score
For the last 10 years I have used rechargeable batteries in my mouse. Although they need changing more often than ordinary ones they work out cheaper in the long run. Recently I have found that, although they work in my keyboard many of the latest ones fail to form a connection. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or does anyone know why this happens?
On some brands, and sometimes, batches of batteries, the button end is a bit short to reach the contact point. I just put in a bit of aluminum foil and all works well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini, MB Air (Early 2015), iMac (mid 2010),Touch (32G)
I've been doing the same. I also ordered a batch of batteries from Amazon and had the same experience with my Apple Mouse. I tried them in various other devices, mostly a bunch of flashlights and the new rechargables just didn't work. So I sent them back and haven't tried again. But it's interesting that the Amazon batteries didn't work for someone else also. I did check the voltage on the new set after charging them and the have the right voltage. I did not check closely the physical dimensions though. So maybe the foil trick would've worked.
I have a mouse for my laptop that I use while the original rechargables are in the charger. That's my workaround for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.