Problem with mini iPad series 1 (I think)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
My wife has a mini iPad that can no longer be updated from version 9.3.5. Within the last week, although it automatically logs into wifi, the internet seems to become inaccessible. A reboot corrects the problem. As, for example, using her newspaper app requires a reboot each day this is rather unsatisfactory.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem and, if so, how to rectify it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife has a mini iPad that can no longer be updated from version 9.3.5.

Yes...if this is an older model iPad mini...we all run into this eventually if we keep our devices long enough. We all hit an OS/iOS dead end.

Within the last week, although it automatically logs into wifi, the internet seems to become inaccessible. A reboot corrects the problem. As, for example, using her newspaper app requires a reboot each day this is rather unsatisfactory.

The reboot is what I would have recommended...sounds like this isn't a 100% solution.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem and, if so, how to rectify it?

Do you know if the iOS on this iPad mini was updated at all recently? I know it's an older iOS version (iOS 9)...but didn't know if maybe a small update may have taken place (maybe going from iOS 9.3.4 to 9.3.5).

If this isn't the case (and this iPad mini has been running iOS 9.3.5 for a while)...AND...this newspaper app has always worked fine...were any new apps installed recently? If some new apps were installed recently...maybe uninstalling them (at least temporarily)...and rebooting the iPad mini again may help.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.