Problem with MAIL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Friends trying to email me are getting bounces with the message "quota exceeded". This just happened. I am using Mac mail 8.2. I am on an old iMac using Yosemite

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Now Mail is frozen. I can't sen or receive messages. I can see mail coming in (mail activity) but it doesn't show up in the IN BOX

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Now Mail is frozen. I can't sen or receive messages.

Please provide more information regarding the 'accounts' you are using w/i the Mail app (e.g. I use Yahoo mainly) - if these accounts also have a 'web-based' client (like Yahoo or Gmail), can you do your mail via that route?

For starters, try to 'Force Quit' the Mail app(go to the Apple left upper menu selection), and then reopen (this sometimes cures problems my wife has on her iMac w/ Mail); if not effective, logout and back into your account - also, if you have other users setup on your computer, does the Mail app work for them? I'll stop there and let you respond - Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Dave,
For reasons I don't understand I have 2 mailboxes, an un-named box which I always use, and a Yahoo box which I have never used. Every time I start MAIL I get a message saying "Mail can't connect to the Yahoo! account "Yahoo". I just 'cancel' it, as I have always done.

I did force quit and restart mail but the problem didn't go away. I logged out and back in but that didn't solve the problem either.

I don't have other users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave,
For reasons I don't understand I have 2 mailboxes, an un-named box which I always use, and a Yahoo box which I have never used. Every time I start MAIL I get a message saying "Mail can't connect to the Yahoo! account "Yahoo". I just 'cancel' it, as I have always done.

I did force quit and restart mail but the problem didn't go away. I logged out and back in but that didn't solve the problem either.

Hello again - well, seems like you have 'accounts' issues - first, open 'Mail' and then go to the mail menu option and select 'Accounts' - below is a screen capture of what opens on my laptop - I have an iCloud & Yahoo account, the latter manages my email - if you can post a 'screen capture' of your own accounts, then that might get us started, i.e. I don't know what the 'un-named' inbox may be but needs to be figured out!

If you then enter each of those accounts, then their setups can be much better understood - see the second screen capture below of the details of my Yahoo account (I've blank out some of the personal info) - if you can tell us (or show a few pics) of what your accounts look like then all will better understand to try to help. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 6.44.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 6.45.26 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick follow-up about doing screen captures, resizing, and posting to the forum - checkout this THREAD - I have a bunch of posts trying to explain how this is done - becomes rather easy once performed a few times. Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Could it be that the messages are sitting in the server, atlanticbb, and not being delivered?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Gotta go Dave. Be back in the AM. Thanks for your help thus far

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could it be that the messages are sitting in the server, atlanticbb, and not being delivered?

Hi again Earle - thanks for the information & the screen captures - first, if you really do not have a Yahoo account, then that entry can be deleted (plus & minus buttons @ the bottom).

Appears that your main email account is through Atlantic Broadband which needs to be resolved - go to their website HERE and sign into your email account to see what the problem may be - there are not enough details in the Mail setup to help much - at this point, I would suggest that you talk to the people at Atlantic BB to see if they are having issues? Wife & I use Yahoo and there are always intermittent problems w/ getting our mail in & out.

Relative to lack of details in the screen capture about your account, if the incoming mail is IMAP (vs. POP3), then your mail should be retained on their servers, so another occasional recommendation is to delete and then setup up your account again, but verify that w/ your ISP - Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Thanks Dave.
You were right. The problem was with my server, atlanticbb. I worked it out over the phone. FYI Something I never knew: when I delete my mail messages locally the remain on the server. I had 2 GB,my limit, on the server. The very bad thing is that I can't bulk delete. I have to delete months and months of message ONE AT A TIME. It takes me about 2.5 hours per month of messages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave.
You were right. The problem was with my server, atlanticbb. I worked it out over the phone. FYI Something I never knew: when I delete my mail messages locally the remain on the server. I had 2 GB,my limit, on the server. The very bad thing is that I can't bulk delete. I have to delete months and months of message ONE AT A TIME. It takes me about 2.5 hours per month of messages.

GREAT! Well, as I mentioned, incoming mail servers these days are usually IMAP (vs. the older POP3) - in IMAP (depending on how the settings are selected), your mail is kept on your ISP's servers - that's how Yahoo works if you had noticed my setup.

As to bulk deleting, try using the SHIFT key, i.e. highlight one email, then go to the bottom of the ones you want to delete (in a row), hold down the SHIFT key and click - all emails in-between should be selected and can be trashed in one move - this is what I do w/i the Mail app; now you could also sign into your account using your ISP's web browser and likely easily bulk delete from there. Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac, 2017
Thanks again Dave. Your bulk delete directions will save me a lot of time.

M

MacInWin

And if you want to keep some of the emails in between are top and bottom, CMD-click them and they should be unhighlighted. Or you can go through a bunch, CMD-clicking the ones you want to delete. Each gets highlighted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.