Problem with Mail

Reaction score
My iPad receives text as sent, but my MacBook Pro changes the text to read one letter per line. What gives and how to fix please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My iPad receives text as sent, but my MacBook Pro changes the text to read one letter per line. What gives and how to fix please!

Boy that is bizarre - 1) What OS X are you using; 2) Did this occur after an upgrade; 3) Is this in the regular mail app; 4) Does it occur w/ all emails received by Mail; 5) If you have multiple accounts, does it occur w/ each one; and 6) What have you done to correct the situation?

If not already done, 'Force Quit' Mail (Apple -> Force Quit), reopen and see if the problem is corrected; logout of your account and back in - any help; reboot your computer - I'll stop there because the answers to the questions above may provide more clues. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
RadDave: Thanks for the quick reply! I'll proceed with suggestions.

OP
B
Reaction score
RadDave: I am using OS 10.10,2. This is intermittent and I have not upgraded recently. I use Windows Live and have only one account..I force quit Mail and resent one of the emails. It was corrected! Then I resent another from my iPad and it wasn't corrected! [twice] These were from different people, which may be the clue. I have to an appointment but will return. Many thanks for the help!

OP
B
Reaction score
RadDave: I have done all you suggested. One thing new I noticed....If I send the original email from my iPad to my MacBook Pro, it is received in the distorted view..ie one letter or word per line. If i send that email back to my iPad, it is corrected and back to full paragraphs. Doesn't this suggest the problem is in the MacBook Pro? It's just I don't know how to fix it. What parameters do I change? It has happened from 3 different senders to me. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave: I have done all you suggested. One thing new I noticed....If I send the original email from my iPad to my MacBook Pro, it is received in the distorted view..ie one letter or word per line. If i send that email back to my iPad, it is corrected and back to full paragraphs. Doesn't this suggest the problem is in the MacBook Pro? It's just I don't know how to fix it. What parameters do I change? It has happened from 3 different senders to me. Any suggestions?

Sorry about your continued problem - I've looked into my Mail's Preferences and other many mail menu items and cannot see an obvious setting to help - now I may be missing something and hope some others will 'chime in' w/ suggestions.

Just a few other questions: 1) Is this happening on all of your MBPro mail and never on your iPad; 2) Are you using the same mail account and do you have other accounts where this is not an issue; 3) What ISP(s) are you using, e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, other; 4) If you have multiple ISPs, does this happen w/ all of them; and 5) If your ISP has a web-based login site, do you see the same problem there w/ your email? Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
This does not happen on my iPad and not always on my MBPro. Always the same mail account. ISP is Comcast and has a web=based log in site. Mail comes through Comcast to Windows Live as my account.
This happened again today with one email which was intact on my iPad, but not on MBPro. I just discovered it I forward from the MBPro, the version on the screen to forward IS CORRECTED so when it happens, I can just forward click if this is becoming too much a pain in the butt.

OP
B
Reaction score
RadDave: I come with hat in hand begging mercy...I have met the enemy and he is me! After going through all our conversations and experimenting I discovered my problem was that even though I left more than half a screen to display emails text, that some sent to me required more and the computer adjusted by stacking the paragraphs until they were only one or part of a word on each line. If I move the sidebar and change the size of the text it fills in perfectly and the reverse is true. Most emails with 20 times the text fit easily into the space but some don't. Why I don't know, but the problem was initiated by my original settings which I had forgotten. Your help forced me to go the correct direction and for that I thank you immensely!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for posting that follow up. I was getting really confused. I'd never really seen that before and couldn't figure out what might have been causing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RadDave: I come with hat in hand begging mercy...I have met the enemy and he is me! After going through all our conversations and experimenting I discovered my problem....

Well, don't know that I helped much, but glad that you figured out the problem - congrats! Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL Dave. Was it Pogo who said... "We met the enemy, and he is us!" ? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.