Problem with iChat as versus Adium

Reaction score
I usually use Adium because it allows me to monitor all the IM programs but decided to use iChat for awhile just to see how it runs. I noticed something today that baffles me (it doesn't take much to baffle me): while in Adium I will see certain people that are on AOL IM logged in. I turn off Adium and immediately open iChat and those same people are not show as being online. When I switch back to Adium to see if they have went offline they are still there. Not sure where to check to see what is wrong - any suggestions? (By the way - I love the way text is displayed in iChat).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
iChat is great and if only they'd include more than AIM, it'd be perfect because it's nicer to have only one client open.

Stupid question, but is your AIM username the same on Adium as it is on iChat, becuase what you described shouldn't happen?

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
iChat is great and if only they'd include more than AIM, it'd be perfect because it's nicer to have only one client open.

Stupid question, but is your AIM username the same on Adium as it is on iChat, becuase what you described shouldn't happen?

Gee I feel like a total idiot! Never thought to check that. Apparently "it" decided to change my login to something else. Not sure when or how that happened. Sorry to have bothered you with something I should have caught myself. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr (sounds of me grinding my teeth).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad you figured it out! I was starting to wonder for a bit because I have never had an issue with iChat showing all my buddies online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.