Problem with folders on Mac Mail

Reaction score
Hi, I wasnt sure where to post this. I'm having a problem with mac mail, which I recently started using again. I also changed my email address. No problem so far, but when I try to file an email to a mailbox folder, it disappears; gone! I can't find it again. Also, mail is not showing my incoming messages. I was getting them tine a couple days ago. Can someone advise?

Thanks,
Scott
[email protected]

krs

Reaction score
I don't think anything disappears in Apple Mail unless you really work at it.
I often find partial emails I composed (and then got interrupted somehow) in my draft folder.

I would suggest you check all the folders, Draft, Sent, Junk, Trash plus any you created to see if the missing email is there - or do a search in all the Mail folders.

As to filing an email, how do you do the filing?
Jus dragging the email to the folder or via the menu bar?

The only problem I have had with Apple Mail is when I try to create a new sub-folder.
The sub-folder often doesn't end up in the proper main folder and I have to drag it there manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi, I wasnt sure where to post this. I'm having a problem with mac mail, which I recently started using again. I also changed my email address. No problem so far, but when I try to file an email to a mailbox folder, it disappears; gone! I can't find it again. Also, mail is not showing my incoming messages. I was getting them tine a couple days ago. Can someone advise?

Hi Scott - disappearing 'Inbox' messages from Apple Mail has been a complaint easily shown by doing some searching - an example HERE which may help? For myself, when my wife tries to send me an email to my Yahoo account, occasionally I see the message retrieved and then mysteriously disappear! I can go to my Yahoo account via their web-based server and her email is there? I've not figured out the reason(s) yet and tell her to send messages from her to my iCloud address which works fine. I'm currently reading the book shown below by Joe Kissell but as of yet the topic has not been addressed. Dave

P.S. please remove the email address from your post - 'harvesting bots' will likely end up distributing it and you'll be bombarded w/ spam.
View attachment 31765

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think anything disappears in Apple Mail unless you really work at it.
I often find partial emails I composed (and then got interrupted somehow) in my draft folder.

I would suggest you check all the folders, Draft, Sent, Junk, Trash plus any you created to see if the missing email is there - or do a search in all the Mail folders.

As to filing an email, how do you do the filing?
Jus dragging the email to the folder or via the menu bar?

The only problem I have had with Apple Mail is when I try to create a new sub-folder.
The sub-folder often doesn't end up in the proper main folder and I have to drag it there manually.
Thanks; somehow it's gotten resolved.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Scott - disappearing 'Inbox' messages from Apple Mail has been a complaint easily shown by doing some searching - an example HERE which may help? For myself, when my wife tries to send me an email to my Yahoo account, occasionally I see the message retrieved and then mysteriously disappear! I can go to my Yahoo account via their web-based server and her email is there? I've not figured out the reason(s) yet and tell her to send messages from her to my iCloud address which works fine. I'm currently reading the book shown below by Joe Kissell but as of yet the topic has not been addressed. Dave

P.S. please remove the email address from your post - 'harvesting bots' will likely end up distributing it and you'll be bombarded w/ spam.
View attachment 31765
Yes, I've had the exact same problem (I also use Yahoo email). Somehow, I thrashed around the the problem miraculously solved. I don't understand the process or what I did, but I'll take it. Thanks for responding.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.