Problem with external display

Reaction score
I have a mid-2010 MBP with 8 GBs of RAM. It runs the most recent version of Mavericks and all software is up to date. I primarily use it as a desk top with a Viewsonic 22" display connected by a DVI to mini display port. Been using this set up for three years with no problems. Recently I had problems getting the display to come back when the computer had gone to sleep and I woke it up. The problem seem to resolve itself after a while, but now has returned, and I can't get the computer to recognize the display. Here is what happens:I boot the computer; when it comes up, I connect the display and turn it on, and the on light on the monitor starts to blink, but does not display the desk top. On the computer, the display starts to blink on and off. Closing the lid to allow clamshell operation still produces no image on the monitor. If I turn off monitor, the blinking on the mac display stops and things work as they should.
I have connected and reconnected everything; run the fix disk permissions program, but the problem persists, and done some research on the Web and a couple of Mac forums to no avail. Any suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here is what happens:I boot the computer; when it comes up, I connect the display and turn it on, and the on light on the monitor starts to blink, but does not display the desk top.

Any suggestions?

Plug the external display into the MacBook Pro BEFORE booting the computer. Then reboot the computer with the external monitor already attached.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check the MDP adapter and the DVI cable to the TV. They've been known to go bad and cause the symptoms you described.

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem solved. After some of this and that I finally decided the problem was with the monitor. It was dying and was not worth trying to repair. Got that confirmed and got a new Dell. Thanks to all who read the post and offered suggestions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.