Problem with AirPlay on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16", MacMini M1, iMac M1 24", iPhone 13 Pro Max
I recently bought an iMac and set it up via Migration Assistant so it is essentially a clone of my MacMini. The problem that I have is that it cannot connect to either my HomePods or HomePod Minis. When selecting either of them I get a message "Could not connect to Name"

The Home Pods are OK because I can connect to them with MacMinis, Macbooks and iOS devices. I can also AirPlay sound to the iMac and its Home.app can access the HomePods to, for example, restart them. It just won't stream sound to them. What it will do is to AirPlay to a Sonos speaker!

Obviously, everything is on the same network. Thanks for any ideas.

Reaction score
I recently bought an iMac and set it up via Migration Assistant so it is essentially a clone of my MacMini. The problem that I have is that it cannot connect to either my HomePods or HomePod Minis. When selecting either of them I get a message "Could not connect to Name"

The Home Pods are OK because I can connect to them with MacMinis, Macbooks and iOS devices. I can also AirPlay sound to the iMac and its Home.app can access the HomePods to, for example, restart them. It just won't stream sound to them. What it will do is to AirPlay to a Sonos speaker!

Obviously, everything is on the same network xl pitbulls. Thanks for any ideas.
I am also facing the same issue

OP
m.g.mcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am also facing the same issue
Interesting. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone to Apple support, including screen sharing, and basically got nowhere.

Because I had used Migration Assistant to set up the M1 iMac from an Intel MacMini, they suggested that perhaps I should reinstall MacOS, but I am a bit reluctant to do this.

In my earlier post I said that I could AirPlay to a Sonos speaker, in fact this doesn't work. Also, trying to AirPlay to an Apple TV fails. Basically, AirPlay just does not work even with devices that it can connect to.

OP
m.g.mcc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From this article it seems that there is an issue with AirPlay on M1 macs, Apple are aware of it but there is no timescale for a fix.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for keeping us posted on this problem. Hopefully, you will have an answer soon.

I was about to suggest creating a new user on that Mac and see if the problem persists.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.