problem reading Imation CD-R disks!?

Reaction score
I've been trying to dig some data off some old CDs (dating from 1998 through 2007) - most were fine, except 2 CDs. These were the only 2 burnt on Imation CD-R disks and both 'likely coincidentally' burnt in 2001 (on whatever Mac I had back then! - perhaps a G3 tower??). All the other CDs, which worked fine, were on various other brands - Verbatim, Traxdata, TDK, and Kodak. Is there something particular about old Imation disks or is it likely just something about the way those two were burnt?

I use a newish MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
More likely something to do with how they were burned, though it may be that they have just degraded (as all discs do), and it just happens to be that brand that have gone first.
Generally they are very good, and it won't be the discs at fault per se.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, Kevriano.
I'll check them on some work PCs and older Macs then to see if any have better success.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
optical media does have a finite lifetime. it's effected by a number of issues, storage, media quality, initial burner quality etc.

I never consider NON-PRESSED optical media to be suitable for archival purposes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like suggested I would try them on some other computers if you can. I have been using Imation's since the mid to late 90's and never had issues. I just was trying to find some old files and all of my old Imation's read fine in my 2007 iMac.

I personally have never had any Burned CD stop reading even after 15 years.

OP
G
Reaction score
I guess I hadnt ever expected to be tracking down data from that long ago! I'll probably consider transferring to a better medium just to be safe for the other CDs.

As a follow up though, I did try the CDs in a PC running Windows 7 this morning. It accepted them and recognized all the folders. I opened a number of the folder fine, but one (of course the one I wanted) didnt and kept freezing Windows Explorer. Will try an older PC and older Mac just in case - although it sounds more like a burn issue now.
Thanks again for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I just create new copies every so often. To be honest, I've had good luck too but...

You'd be surprised how often I've had this conversation in my working life :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.