Problem Installing Yosemite

Reaction score
Hey,

So I decided to get a free installation of OS X Yosemite from the App Store from my MacBook Pro (I'll say I got it around 2010).

So this is what happens: file is downloaded, starts to install, says it will take about 22 minutes and then, it stops. A prompt comes up and says "File system verify or repair fail".
It asks me to quit and I can't even get into the StartUp Disk because there isn't enough information.

When I shut down for a bit and restart the computer, the same thing happens. If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered because I was fine where I was at before. I just thought I had to catch up lile everyone else.

Thanks,

Gooner

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's telling you that your hard drive has problems. Before Yosemite or any version of OS X will install, it runs a verify and repair (if necessary) on your hard drive. I suggest making a backup of all your data before proceeding with anything else.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. If I choose a new startup disk, it's not giving me any option to restart with my old OS. If I use my Snow Leopard OS disk, can I reinstall that and backup all my music and pictures ? I know I need a hard drive and will get it this afternoon, I just want to make sure I don't lose music/pics.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do whatever you can to backup your files before replacing the hard drive. I'm not sure you're going to be able to reinstall Snow Leopard if the hard drive is bad. You might be able to get data off the hard drive by removing it and placing it in a USB SATA carrier and attaching to another Mac. Or you may be able to use Target Disk Mode if you have another working Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.