Problem installing software on 10.0.3

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I have just bought an old G3 500 Ibook off ebay, and it's really nice and came with all the original discs and stuff. I've tried to install some software I have downloaded from the net, including safari and some tryout demo software of photoshop and indesign. However, when I run the dmg files to mount them they don't open.

It gives me a checksum error. For example next to Checksum in disk copy, one says CRC32 SA6216BBF INVALID
"Unable to verify safari.dmg" The format says UDIF read-only.

I don't know why this is, and it's really annoying as it seems that every dmg I get this happens!

I originally downloaded them on PC and put them on a memory stick to copy over, as Internet Explorer crashes on me on my Ibook when I go to some pages, which is why I was trying to install Safari.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
10.0 is the old beta version of OS X and little software will work with it. You need OS 10.2, 10.3 or preferably 10.4.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
10.0 is the old beta version of OS X and little software will work with it. You need OS 10.2, 10.3 or preferably 10.4.

Agreed. I have found a few things that will not even install on 10.2 anymore! 10.3 Panther is a good place to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
yea...i would suggest purchasing panther. its cheaper and i dont think tiger was meant to be installed on those machines, although it can with xpostfacto or something.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is what I thought. I have seen people selling Panther discs on ebay, most seem to be ones that were bundles with a G4. Would these work on my G3 or would it need the G4 mac?

M

MacHeadCase

Do not buy a disk that came with another Mac: these are model specific and will not install on another model. Buy instead a full install OS disk as these will go on any machine that meets its requirements.

I second the Go with Panther (Mac OS 10.3.x) suggestion as it isn't too demanding of hardware, it's very stable and besides there are things in Tiger that your video card won't be able to render at all because it isn't in the supported video cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
ur g3 should run panther fine, u dont need a g4. heres a good auction for a non-model specific Panther.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.