Problem Hard drive, SSD & HDD

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using a Macbook Pro Mid 2012, core i7; 8Gb of Ram.

About a month ago, I started experiencing hanging and constant beach balls. All programs took over 30sec to open. Taking my MBP to apple genius staff was my best bet at fixing my problem. They said they were going to format my Hard drive because an "application not updating" could be messing around with my computer. After a killer slow format of 30min, my MBP still had the same hanging problems and excessive beach balls. They said this is definitely your HDD failing we have to change it for 240$. Like a normal human I said ****** and said i'll buy a hard drive myself.

To make sure the HD was the issue, I used an old HDD from my old 2008 macbook and it worked perfectly. Surprisingly the stock HDD that was causing me trouble on my MBP did work on my 2008 MB. I then bought 2 new SSD's one crucial m500 and one Samsung 840 pro one for each of my MB's. I tried formatting them to be able to download the OS on them (on my 2012 MBP) but i kept getting an error message saying: Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed. I programmed the crucial with Yosemite on my 2008 MB and it worked fine. I then plugged it into my 2012 MBP and to find that it was hanging and having the same beach ball issues as my old HDD. In summary, all hard drives work on my 2008 MB but only the stock 2008 MB HDD works on my 2012 MBP.

Considering the hard drives are brand new and work on my 2008 MB, that means the hard drives dont have any problem.

And since my MBP runs perfectly with 1 of the HD, that means the logic board should be fine. (might be wrong)

I speculate that the SATA cable might be faulty or damaged.

I hope the community can help me because if I rely on apple, I can be sure they're going to drain my wallet.

PLEASE HELP, one love

George

Reaction score
Sounds like a controller problem (logic board). You could try doing the usual Command-Opt-P-R to reset PRAM, and left-option/control/shift/power to reset SMC. You could also unplug the battery for a few seconds and plug it back in. Also make sure the SATA cable is seated securely at the logic board.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer Subzero. How could the controller be the problem since im my MBP is running perfectly with one of the HDD's? If the logic board was broken, i wouldn't be able to run anything.

Reaction score
The controller may have an odd quirk that one drive is ok with. The old drive, it's probably 5400rpm, probably SATA2 or SATA1. Maybe the problem becomes evident on newer drives with SATA3.

Reaction score
which hard drive controller do you have sata 1 sata 2 or sata 3 the reason i ask is sata 3 is buggy on sata 2 and 1 you might be better keeping a regular old laptop hard drive i would recommend a wd 1tb blue for laptops really reliable also so are the regular samsung hard drives not the ssd's

OP
U
Reaction score
My MBP is SATA 3 compatible. But no matter, the samsung SSD 840 pro IS reverse compatible with sata1 and 2. Now both HDD's from my MBP and MB are SATA 2. Why would one work and not the other?
And since all the hard drives work on the 2008 they should work on the 2012. The MBP should have the same logic board if not a better one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
fast ?, did you ever drop the Macbook?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.