Problem for Mac Whizzkid

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Problem for a very experienced Mac user. I pasted some (right to left language) text into Microsoft Word using my Macbook Pro but it came out all messy and out of order! the characters are not even joined up for some reason. They come out separate!

I then tried another time but it showed me a boxes for the characters!

Anyone know how to solve the problem?

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to type in the right to left mode in MS Word or any other WP program for that matter, you must select that option and its language from the international preferences.

For example, type in Arabic R to L:

System Preferences, Language & Text. Choose the Arabic language from the list, and then select the Input Sources Tab. From here you can specify which keyboard to use and check the Arabic listing.

You can not paste R to L in a document that is formatted L to R unless you switch languages as above. Sometimes it works but most times it will be as you reported.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind reply. I've done all that, but why then, if i want to type Arabic in Word does it show the Arabic characters but not joined together? How do make the text out to be readable as in proper structural wordings?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
HI:

There may be other options when selecting Arabic. I'm not familiar with what's available. I know from experience that when I select an Asian language (Korean for example) I have four options to choose from. Those options vary in the way the language will appear in the document. And also determines which keys on the US keyboard will be mapped to the correct character set.

If the character palette only has one option and that shows up as non joined Arabic writing, then that's your only option. You may also be able to choose a font set - perhaps one that shows up as joined writing. Another option (more expensive) is to see if there is a full Arabic keyboard available locally. Check with your local Apple store or dealer.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Probably too late to do any good, but I opened this thread expecting a "newbie" question about the Mac. Instead, it's about Microsoft! Just another illustration of the "forum rule" about descriptive, accurate thread titles not being followed. Please, no "generic" titles!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.