Problem connecting mac to external monitor in kubuntu!

Reaction score
Hi, I recently installed kubuntu on my macbook to test it out and I'm trying to connect the external monitor to my computer but it's not working properly. I have my mac connected to the tv with a minidp to hdmi adaptor, and an hdmi-hdmi cable. In mac OS it works fine, but in kubuntu for some reason it doesn't. I have attached an image of what the configuration looks like, and no matter what I do I can't get the full screen to get on my tv, it always has some part cut out...its not a graphic card problem because there are no lines or anything, the image is clear, just that it's not the full image...how am i supposed to configure this?
Thanks.

Attachments

• snapshot1.jpg
    snapshot1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You may find someone here with the specific knowledge to help, but I'd suggest you also head to the Ubuntu/Kubuntu forums.

I haven't touched Linux since the first year after HDMI was introduced and at that time, there was no HDMI capability in any of the major versions I tried.

OP
G
Reaction score
I tried posting there but they didn't really know how to solve the problem...one of them suggested to connect the macbook to the tv with VGA but I want to see if there's a solution before spending money on that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In the picture you have there, the only things I can suggest is #1, select the LG display (recognizing it is more than any Linux would do a few years ago), then adjust the resolution to the native resolution of the LG.

If it's cutting off the screen around all 4 edges at that resolution you've got an issue with overscan more than likely. You'll need to look for a way to turn it off, either on the computer or on the TV. Most TVs will not have an option to disable it, you'll have to browse the menus or pull out the owners manual. The other option is to select a resolution that leaves a black bar around all 4 sides of the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.